UKC

I Need a New Tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 25 Jul 2017
I've currently got a Nexus 7(2012) but it's now so slow and temperamental that the local computer repair place reckons it's easier to replace it.

Any recommendations please? I need to be able to put mapping on it (MemoryMap, Viewranger)and needs to be able to "go outdoors" - so fairly rugged or at least with a good rugged case.

Thanks.
 bouldery bits 25 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Neurofen?

(Here's your bump!)
 Dax H 26 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Do you need a tablet sized screen? There are lots of rugged smart phones that would run memory map.
 Dauphin 26 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Pixel C is about to be replaced/ discontinued - will be available cheaply soon, not worth the current iPad price tag. Easily the best android tablet at the moment.

D
 Thrudge 26 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Have you tried wiping the cache partition? That usually speeds things up.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27926
Post edited at 09:46
 The Lemming 27 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
> I've currently got a Nexus 7(2012) but it's now so slow and temperamental that the local computer repair place reckons it's easier to replace it.

I also have a Nexus7 (2012) with the same problem. Sadly you will not be able to fix it because its a design fault. Some how the RAM/memory chips used had a fault. Over time the chips would fail and get slower and slower until the tablet became useless.

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) with another design fault with the Micro USB daughter-board. My tablet will no longer charge up and the daughter-board costs too much to replace.

Scratch two tablets.

In the run up to Christmas I bought an Asus Zenpad for under £100 but the price has gone back up to £150.

Putting the price aside I like the tablet because it has a 10inch screen. And so far Asus is playing nicely with keeping it up-to-date. At the moment I am rocking Android 7.0 with the latest security updates.

O.k. it's not THE latest operating system update of 7.1.2 which is on my phone but for a non google piece of kit, this is quite impressive.

if you are in the market for an android tablet I suggest that you get one with an operating system at least 6.0 (Marshmallow). That way you get security updates on a regular basis.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-ze...
Post edited at 22:34
In reply to The Lemming:

> Over time the chips would fail and get slower and slower until the tablet became useless.

I was a bit dubious about that, so googled. Looks like it was an issue with the memory controller, not the memory itself (I couldn't see how synchronous memory could slow down, since the bus cycles are determined by the bus clock speed, and there's no variable ack; memory interface design assumes the dervice will always run at datasheet speed).

There are some reports of Android downgrades or alternative builds taht get over the problem:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/617740-why-doe...
 David Riley 01 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Can you charge the Nexus 2013 with a wireless charger ?
 Dave the Rave 01 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Ee's are good.
 The Lemming 01 Aug 2017
In reply to David Riley:

> Can you charge the Nexus 2013 with a wireless charger ?

I never even considered that however I shall look into it.

Cheers
 David Riley 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I never use the usb. Chargers are £3.79 on ebay. It seems I'm not allowed to give you a link.
 The Lemming 02 Aug 2017
In reply to David Riley:

Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW if you shrink the link, then it gets through the filter.
In reply to mypyrex:

I have a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet; it's now about two years old, runs on android 7.1.1. In that time it's only missed one beat when the 32 GB storage became limitingly full. I backed things up and did a complete reinstall, since when storage isn't half-full and it's performed flawlessly.

I'm sure it would do what you want and as it's now getting on, by the standards of these things, you may be able to pick one up substantially cheaper than it was when new (£500 including keyboard). Worth a look.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...