UKC

crankset advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 31 Jul 2017
hello
i am abroad with a limited range of delivery and local options
i have a giant defy advanced 1, with a 11-28 cassette
the crankset is 34/50 ultegra

now the cranket is very worn and needs changing asap

i only have access to shimano 105 52/36

would that work???

i brought the bike over here

thanks
Rigid Raider 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

Yes it will work fine. That's a "semi-compact" chainset and a popular ratio. If you live somewhere hilly you'll find the climbs a tiny bit tougher in your 36 but not much. If you live somewhere flat you probably won't even notice.

Can't you buy just the chainrings? Where is "over here"? Surely you can get some locally?

If you are changing the chainset, are you also changing the chain and cassette? It's probably a good idea.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thank you

I currently live in Mauritius and nothing is available!

I just got a new cassette and chain from a friend travelling abroad, but he forgot the chainring back in the UK!
 LastBoyScout 31 Jul 2017

I presume you've tried international shipping from the likes of Chain Reaction Cycles or Wiggle?

You don't say whether your bike is 10 or 11 speed, but either should work ok.

The only thing you might need to do is move the front mech slightly higher to get the correct clearance on the 52 ring and tweak the cable accordingly.
 The Potato 31 Jul 2017

Yes will work no problem, if you're finding the 36t too hard you could get an 11-30 cassette
In reply to LastBoyScout:

11 speed

International delivery takes 2-3 weeks and I have some long routes to do this weekend, namely the tour of the island, 241km in total. Wanted to spruce up the bike before.
 nufkin 31 Jul 2017

In case you've not come across it, Sheldon Brown's gear calculator might be of interest to see how a different set-up might compare to what you're used to:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...