UKC

Climbing wall job hunting (like fox hunting, but fewer horses)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 antmorgan1991 01 Aug 2017

Does anyone know of any climbing wall jobs going over the winter? Or where best to find them?
Preferably in London, Devon, or North Wales, but I don't really have any preference, I'm a pretty free agent.
Got my SPA in 2012, and I've got experience with a lot of different client groups, especially youth groups over the last 5 years.
Also got my summer ML, TCL, 40hr wilderness first aid, and I'm training for the Norwegian Sea kayak guiding qualification.
I just need something to keep a roof over my head until summer!
Alternatively, anyone got a shed I can live in?
Ta
Ant
Post edited at 20:04
 john arran 01 Aug 2017
In reply to antmorgan1991:

Fewer

Sorry, can't help with your question.
 Jenny Dart 01 Aug 2017

Plymouth life centre wall (run by high sports) may be worth dropping a CV into, they've had a relatively recent change of staff team.
OP antmorgan1991 01 Aug 2017
In reply to john arran:
Sir, this shall be changed IMMEDIATELY!
In reply to Jenny Dart:

Awesome, thanks!
 nastyned 01 Aug 2017

Using less is perfectly fine.
 john arran 01 Aug 2017

Well played, sir!
 Fakey Rocks 01 Aug 2017

Finding the title a bit odd to say the least.

1. There's plenty foxes, if they can't find one, they let one they brought with them out of a bag, to get their evil way, but there's not so many climbing walls, + u can't just build your own to "get lucky", unless u r Sharma-nic.
2. There's not many horses /riders actually involved, that have a f*#@ng clue what they are doing, often not even the idiot master, but most people looking for a job in a climbing wall should do, true there may be lots looking.

I wouldn't give you a job in one having posted with strange insensitivity to 90‰ of the population who oppose fox hunting.

Ps..
There's more than one way to skin a human.
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

I'm genuinely really sorry if this caused offence, it was only meant to be a funny title. I'm as opposed to fox hunting as the next person, and once again apologise.

Wow, a poster who is happy to consider an opposing view and apologise rather than jump into an argument at the first opportunity. I'd consider offering you a job if I had one to offer.

Good luck.

I take it you've looked through these? https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/job_finder.php
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thank you!
Like I said before, the aim wasn't to offend people or create an argument, it was just a bad attempt at humour.
Tomtom 02 Aug 2017
In reply to mountain.martin:

I don't think he has considered an opposing view, he has the same view. Despite that view he made a joke, and apologised for causing offence with the joke. I imagine the apology comes easy when the same or similar view is taken.
Anyhow, a poster happy to see an opposing view is a rarity, agreed. What is becoming significantly more common place, however, is unnecessary offence been taken at what is clearly a joke, and in tandem with that is those willing to appease the easily offended. That relationship seems to be exponentially increasing.

Ah well, Sticks and stones, and all that.

Bring on the dislikes!

Apologies OP for thread hijack.
 MischaHY 02 Aug 2017

I presume you've dropped CV's to the usual suspects? The direct approach is often very effective and shows good initiative.
Deadeye 02 Aug 2017
In reply to nastyned:

> Using less is perfectly fine.

No. It isn't.
 label 02 Aug 2017

I saw "staff wanted" posters up in the Arch the other day. I've heard mixed reports about the management, but it's in London.
 Fakey Rocks 03 Aug 2017

Correction, 84% of the uk population are against fox hunting.
I see no connection whatsoever between trying to get a job and this, not funny at all.

Apologies for the final line,
Ps there's more than 1 way to....

Some people seem to use this line, with reference to cats,... perhaps they don't realise it still happens, whilst the animal is alive, in a few sick countries who want to argue it's part of their food culture.
It would be nice if people didn't make use of phrases that casually refer to suffering caused to other sentient life, and obviously those practices brought to an end too, but these things take time, and pressure.
 La benya 03 Aug 2017

Do shut up
 Fakey Rocks 03 Aug 2017
In reply to La benya:

Just interested to know if u would be so slap happy about this if the topic title made casual jokey reference in a way that was homophobic or racist...
 Bobling 03 Aug 2017

Mate I think there's some traffic somewhere you should be shouting at...
I think you are making a bit much of this. Someone could get upset that you have alluded to skinning a cat, even though you haven't actually said it.

Using homophobic or racist expressions shouldn't be acceptable as (even if not meant seriously) it could be upsetting to people who have experienced discrimination.

Foxes and cats are not going to be upset by this thread and it is obvious that no one on here is promoting fox hunting or skinning cats.
Post edited at 09:16
 probablylost 03 Aug 2017

Supposedly there's a branch of the hanger opening in Plymouth too, but haven't heard anything about it in a while.
 WaterMonkey 03 Aug 2017

> Correction, 84% of the uk population are against fox hunting.

> I see no connection whatsoever between trying to get a job and this, not funny at all.

> Apologies for the final line,

> Ps there's more than 1 way to....

> Some people seem to use this line, with reference to cats,... perhaps they don't realise it still happens, whilst the animal is alive, in a few sick countries who want to argue it's part of their food culture.

> It would be nice if people didn't make use of phrases that casually refer to suffering caused to other sentient life, and obviously those practices brought to an end too, but these things take time, and pressure.

WOW! There really should be a sense of humour test before letting people loose on t'internet
 Andy Reeve 03 Aug 2017

> It would be nice if people didn't make use of phrases that casually refer to suffering caused to other sentient life, and obviously those practices brought to an end too, but these things take time, and pressure.

I think if you stopped being so insulted and allowed this young man to get on with finding a job it would kill two birds with one stone.
 Sir Chasm 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Andy Reeve:

> I think if you stopped being so insulted and allowed this young man to get on with finding a job it would kill two birds with one stone.

That really puts the cat among the pigeons.
 nniff 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Sir Chasm:

And so as the foot of indifference stamps upon the snail of indignation, and the fingers of frustration squeeze the bird in the hand, I notice that it's the end of the show...
 Fakey Rocks 06 Aug 2017
In reply to nniff:
?
End of the show?
This stays on show for years + years...

I appreciate that the OP has apologised, thanks.

However, with getting the point i have made, it's possible that i could be waiting much longer than for cows to come home with some respondents here, although in my field, they would be coming home for a cuddle, but in yours, maybe as part of the factory process you have them enslaved in?

I think it's rather unfortunate that most respondents + their likers here seem very misguided by what they find funny.

This is not funny.

Had the title instead tried to be jokey by involving racism, sexism, homophobia, etc or some sick crime involving children, the elderly, or adults, you would probably agree with my objection quite easily, + you certainly wouldn't be complaining about a lack of a sense of humour or telling me to shut up, or coming across with a farty patronising tone, mr Reeve, or perhaps implying you think i've lost the plot, Mr Bobbling? Mountain martin... I can help you with that.... foxes + cats, and other animals, they can't quite read. I thought u might have known.... so they might just be happy for some human beings to get involved with stopping them being bullied, abused, or exploited.

So because it involves an animal, + perhaps in your opinions it's "just wildlife", being totured by a group of bullying violent thugs on horse back + quads, who think they are above the law, armed with a pack of dogs with the stamina to eventually out run the animal, to the point of exhaustion so that it can't escape, with inevitable consequences, of it being dismembered + ripped apart by hounds, regardless of whether its a cub or pregnant vixen, you think that's something that's ok to be humoured? How can it be, unless you agree with it?
Would it also be ok to do it to your pet cat / dog / rabbit, torture a friend, or anyone else from your family etc.?
Add to that volunteers who attend to monitor + disrupt the hunt are violently assaulted regularly whilst the police if they attend do nothing to try to intervene, rather seem only concerned with allowing the hunt, which is illegal, to continue, because the police are corrupt, have high + low ranking officers involved in the hunt + are supported in doing nothing about it by corrupt politicians, including current political leaders.

Within the next month or two they'll be out surrounding copses and sending their trainee hounds in to learn how to kill, by practicing on the fox cubs.

Cruelty to animals, disguised as a pompous "tradition", is not fun.

Couple of more fitting quotes than the careless stuff seen in your posts above....

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi

The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality.

Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

I think some of your responses seem barking mad, or as mad as a march hare, but i am as snug as a bug in a rug, and sorry but no i don't have a bee in my bonnet, + i'm not the black sheep of the family, + no doubt one of you is going to suggest that i should get off my high horse, but i just had to go the whole hog, but you lot can go to the dogs, cos although i'm not a green eyed monster, i'm laughing like a cheshire cat, like a bat out of hell, but you might think i'm a lame duck, is this a kangaroo court? Who let the cat out of the bag? Was i like a moth to a flame? Feels like being savaged by a dead sheep, + you seem to be lions lead by donkeys, am i making a pigs ear of this? Perhaps i should make a bee line for it... but pigs might fly! So just never, never, look a gift horse in the mouth. Ok? Straight from the horses mouth! Bit of a shaggy dog story? Is it raining cats n dogs? Perhaps i've got ants in my pants. I'm off to take a cat nap now.

Notice i missed all the animal phrases that don't involve deliberate cruelty, but it's your turn now.

R-Tooth-achey
Post edited at 15:56
 tom84 06 Aug 2017

"im so glad the nasty man has apologised on the internet for something he said that didn't even offend me in the first place but might have offended somebody else who was reading it" the guy just wanted a job at a wall and put a post up that was a bit different. you f*cking tool.
 Fakey Rocks 07 Aug 2017
In reply to tom84:

Not sure why you're using quotes, you haven't quoted anyone.

The man just wanted a job, but made reference to an illegal violent blood sport, something that is very cruel to animals, as a comparison of how his job search is going.

This is not acceptable and offensive.

He has apologised.

Some people would also be happy to see racist jokes, sexist jokes, homophobic jokes, etc, and it wouldn't offend them, but it would offend others.

You have sworn at me... and insulted me, because i am offended by such a careless attempt at humour.

I think you owe me an apology.

nniff 07 Aug 2017
It is rather amusing that in your diatribe about what does not constitute humour that you have missed the reference to one of the longest running British radio comedy shows. Clearly, you haven't got a clue.
 MeMeMe 07 Aug 2017

You might be better just emailing or phoning, or visiting (if they're close) a load of walls with a short covering letter or CV.

Probably not a particularly helpful to you but at least I'm not waffling on about fox hunting...

Contact big rock MK. They some times need staff and are opening a new wall at some point
 tom84 07 Aug 2017

calm down snowflake, your not getting an apology- major upside to this clear and flagrant thread hijack is we'll keep this most heinous job seeking advert going for longer!
 Fakey Rocks 07 Aug 2017
In reply to tom84:
Calm down?

My nature has been calm throughout.

Yourself though, not so, you lost it + resorted to swearing + insulting.
I didn't really think you might be the type man enough to humble himself with an apology. Just in the offchance, i thought i'd suggest it.

Flagrant hijack... sorry not me, i've made genuine objection to the offensive topic title, but some of you clearly don't care about the issue at hand and are obviously happy to use my objection as a means your own entertainment.

Some people have made useful reference to how the OP can extend his job search, but most of the rest of it is just plain ignorance as to why i have objected.
Post edited at 13:52
 La benya 07 Aug 2017

Shut.... up...
 Fakey Rocks 07 Aug 2017
In reply to La benya:

So what's your actual interest here then... nothing but an opportunity to be rude, as with several other posters?
 Danbow73 07 Aug 2017

Hi Ant

I'm a wall manager and to be honest if your looking for lots of hours you'd probably be better basing yourself where there is a high density of walls and asking at all of them (the idea is to be getting on all of their books).

In my experience most instructor positions start on a casual basis and then the best staff get put on to higher hour contracts! You may have more luck with reception based stuff but I think you just need to get out there and start networking with people.

Hope it helps

Dan
OP antmorgan1991 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

Thanks Dan!
Yeah that's really helpful, cheers for the tip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...