UKC

MTB baggy short recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 02 Aug 2017
Hi,

Trying to find a pair of MTB baggy shorts that don't make me look like a prat!

So far, I've tried various offerings from Endura, Fox, RaceFace, AlpineStars and a couple of others, but they've all come up enormous, either in the waist or length (and that's on the smallest sizes they do - I'm 30" waist), and rather over-engineered in terms of weight and ridiculous amounts of pockets, which I don't need/want.

The least worst of what I've tried so far seem to be Louis Garneau ones from Evans.

So, can anyone recommend a pair of light-ish weight, un-fussy shorts - intended for mountain biking, commuting to work and a bit of cycle touring?

Rigid Raider 02 Aug 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Have you looked at dhb on Wiggle? Their stuff is well made and good value.
 jonnie3430 02 Aug 2017

I usually use some general purpose North Face shorts and padded liners. Bought another pair of altura liners from wiggle last week and they have been good (but unlucky?) I've looked at mtb shorts, but as I'm happy with what I've got and don't see the point of them, think I'm going to stick with my way.
OP LastBoyScout 02 Aug 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

That's exactly what I've been doing, but both are now pretty knackered and need replacing.

I'd just buy some liners if I could find another pair of shorts that fit as well as my North Face ones (which aren't made any more)!
OP LastBoyScout 02 Aug 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

DHB only do one pair of baggy ones and I don't like the style for what I want them for.
 jonnie3430 02 Aug 2017

> I could find another pair of shorts that fit as well as my North Face ones (which aren't made any more)!

Sad to hear that, now what am I gonna do when they wear out? Let me know if you get a good solution.
 MonkeyPuzzle 02 Aug 2017

I know you mentioned Fox already but I have a pair of their Ranger shorts which are really light weight, good length (I have short legs) and have in built Velcro waist adjustment. Worth checking out.
 dsh 02 Aug 2017
I wear padded undershorts with a non padded short as there are more options, and you can use the shorts for other things.

Baleaf undershorts are great value, I have been wearing these for a while and they are holding up fine, I've been wearing them with regular athletic shorts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MTE6OTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0...

I heard good things about ARSUXEO shorts, so just ordered a pair of unpadded mtb shorts to go with them, but you can get ones with padding if you prefer, they have a number of styles/fits, they come up small so you should be able to get a pair you like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D3939440031&field-key...

I haven't used the ARSUXEO shorts yet, but they look good for the price.
Post edited at 18:52
 TobyA 02 Aug 2017

Decathlon. I've got one pair of their softshell BTwin fancy MTB shorts and one pair of their trekking ones. Both work great with just standard bike shorts or bibs under. I got both of my pairs cheap on sale.
 Mouflon 03 Aug 2017

I spent ages looking for unpadded shorts which weren't flashy, long and not too baggy.

Ended up with Swrve Cotton Cigarette Shorts. Very pleased with them. Accurate size. The other Swrve shorts seem a bit baggier, although that depends whether your thighs are not skinny like mine.

I'm 5'10" and they are about 1-2" above my knee.

Smart without being too formal and I'd be happy to use them as shorts off the bike.

They've got a reinforced backside but I wear them over padded bib shorts.

Well recommended.

(If I wanted a pair of lighter material shorts, I'd also consider the Decathlon Forclaz 900 Hiking Shorts)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...