UKC

New technical line on Gasherbrum 1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Denni:

Very impressive. Interesting that the line doesn't look particularly technical yet still graded M7, just goes to show how short sections of mixed can pack a punch!
 Damo 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Denni:

And it was Holocek's 5th attempt on the line! That's dedication bordering on obsession. I attempted the normal route on G1 just once and can't be bothered going back in the least. He's shown incredible perseverance, in a season of poor weather, and a death in the history. No wonder he's named it 'Satisfaction'.

Eight days climbing alpine-style on an 8000er, with four days to go from 7400 to 8000 on technical sections is bloody hard work, and risky.

I'm guessing he'll get more personal, internal reward out of his battle with this one route than others would get out of jumaring five easier routes on separate mountains. I think it says a lot about why people climb.
OP Denni 12 Aug 2017
In reply to alexm198:

Short sections of mixed at that altitude, as Damo said, obsessive comes to mind. Clearly something that wasn't going to defeat them.
OP Denni 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Damo:

As you said Damo, I reckon it's a personal thing (internal) with this particular route and obsession with a particular mountain and climbing style which I'm sure is the same with a lot of folk regardless of grade, location and style.

What stopped you going back? You clearly wanted to do it so was it not worth another go?
 plyometrics 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Denni:

The selfies tell you everything you need to know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...