UKC

Getting around the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sunny Howard 14 Aug 2017
Hi, me and my friend are going to the Dolomite's between the 27th of August and 3rd of September to hopefully do via ferrata and easy multi pitch trad climbs.

We will be based in Canazei but will have no car to get around and were wondering what the easiest ways of travelling to different places? I have heard the busses are pretty bad so was considering walking around the campsite asking other climbers if they have spare seats or just hitchhiking.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers.
 joshtee25 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Sunny Howard:

Hey,

I disagree about the buses being bad - as long as you know where you're trying to get to and understand the limitations of the buses (timings especially) they can be quite useful if you don't mind a bit of walking.

Hitch hiking is very viable - people are really friendly, just try not to appear too grubby and don't try it after dark if you can help it - it gets really quiet in the evenings! Often climbers/walkers will pick people up if they look outdoorsy.

A bunch of us are out from the 23rd-31st of August, so may see you around. What multipitches have you been looking at?

J
OP Sunny Howard 14 Aug 2017
In reply to joshtee25:

Thanks for the reply... Il take a better look into the bus timetables!

Also on the multipitches, knew it would be difficult to get round so didnt have any routes set in stone. Pretty open to any really but i would love to visit the vajolet towers. We're pretty new to trad so realistically i think we could do routes up to IV.

Be cool to meet you lot over there for sure though!!
 Alan Bates 14 Aug 2017
Last year we stayed near Canazei (over the other side of the Passo Pordoi at Arabba), we did have a hire car.
I'd think that you should easily be able to get a bus, or hitch, to Mazzin for access to the Vajolet Towers.
You should also be able to get to the Passo Sella, for the Sella Towers and the friendly bolted stuff at Citta del Sassi.
If you can get across to the top Falzareo Pass, there is a lot for you to go at, easy routes and I recall a lot of people on a via ferrata at Col dei Bois.
I've no idea on cost but lift systems might well be useful to get you to some areas.
If you've not already got a guidebook, I'm happy to lend you my Rockfax (2014)
Have fun.
J1234 14 Aug 2017

When I was at Venice Airport the other week at the end of a trip, I got chatting with two people who had been walking based in Cortina. They said the bus service was excellent and about €1.8 per trip. I would assume Canazei is equally well connected. Hitching would also be an option, I find a pack with a rope is often a golden ticket
In reply to Alan Bates:

Thanks for the reply! Ive got the guide and il check out the places you mentioned, by the sounds of it we'll have plenty to do!
In reply to J1234:

Cheers, Yeah il make sure the rope is easily visible haha. The busses sound much better than i had imagined!
In reply to yelotango:

Ideal!!
Thanks alot!!
 joshtee25 15 Aug 2017

Piz Ciavazes is well worth a look as well - quite easy access. I'd heartily suggest looking at some shortish sport multipitch before getting stuck into dollies trad multipitch - mainly to get used to the rock and length of routes. By doing a sport multipitch you can get into the groove a bit, and acclimatise (the altitude isn't crazy high, but can still leave people short of breath the first couple of days)
Frea (Gardena pass) and Sass Dlacia (en route up to Falzarego pass) would be great places to check for short sport multipitch (as well as some great single pitch)

1st Sella tower would be worth a look for sure - easy access and easy, shortish trad routes.
 Toerag 15 Aug 2017

I think there's a cablecar up to the Sella massif from Canazei, you could take that up then do the VFs around the plateau over a few days staying in huts on or around the plateau.
 yelotango 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Toerag:

The bus from the skilift in Canazei to Passo Pordoi is cheaper and will allow you to climb VF Piazetta.
Cablecar from Campitello will get you within walking distance of the Sella Towers an Citta dei Sassi.
The Gardeccia shuttle from Pera di Fassa or skilift from Vigo will get you near to the Vajolet Towers but you may need to spend a night in a Rifugio for longermultipitch routes.
 tallsteve 15 Aug 2017

Check out the Val di Fassa Panorama Pass - Bus and cable car travel for about 15euro per day - as most VFs are at the top of a lift this could be a great deal. http://www.fassa.com/EN/PanoramaPass/

Will be in the val di Fassa around then too ... blue VW, stick your thumb out, I'll wave two fingers as I pass :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...