UKC

DIY - mirror repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Bathroom cabinet has mirrored doors, but the dreaded black marks are starting to creep in from the edges in various places. I'm guessing the exposed glass/frame join (the mirrors are just stuck on top of the frame flush with the edges) is probably not sealed effectively and allowing liquid to penetrate and cause the mirror backing to deteriorate.

Anything diy I can do to stop this? Was thinking something that would essentially cover and seal the join between the mirrors and the backing frames all round the outside, but don't know what would be best or even appropriate. Translucent silicone sealant, varnish, glass paint were thoughts, but don't know if any of these could hasten the deterioration rather than stop/minimise it?

Of course it maybe too late and damage will just spread anyway even if now sealed? Any thoughts?
Post edited at 17:36
 Fraser 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I have the same situation and wondered if nail varnish would do the trick.
 Timmd 14 Aug 2017

It strikes me that anything which can actually seal it would stop it from getting worse if it's down to moisture?
In reply to Timmd:
I would have thought so, but wary that any of the chemicals, solvents or others, within could cause a worsening instead.

May need to experiment on an old mirror if no one has tried already.
 Bitsofdeadtree 14 Aug 2017
Is it possible to just replace the piece of mirror? You might be pleasantly surprised on how cheap mirror glass actually is.
 Timmd 14 Aug 2017
Good point, what about superglue? It'd be expensive though.

The branded 'Superglue' glue, it seems to come out in a gel like consistency now...
Post edited at 23:07
 balmybaldwin 14 Aug 2017

Hot glue? doesn't seem to react with anything
In reply to Bitsofdeadtree:
Don't know, but guessing not that simple as the mirrors are presumably glued on to each door frame and to complicate things there are heated demister pads in each door. Was hoping something diy could be simpler.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Ah that could be a good possibility.
 Bitsofdeadtree 14 Aug 2017

In which case just Google clear mirror adhesive, and use it in a similar method you would silicone.
It's adhesive that is specially designed to not affect the mirroring on the back.

Failing that, any nutral cure glazing silicone should be fine in reality.
 radddogg 15 Aug 2017

Throw it in the bin and go to IKEA?
Great thanks.
In reply to radddogg:
No too expensive, and I would have to redecorate to suit a new cabinet!
 jkarran 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> Good point, what about superglue? It'd be expensive though.
> The branded 'Superglue' glue, it seems to come out in a gel like consistency now...

Superglue (cyanoacrylate) fumes react with water (which is everywhere) to form milky white deposits on glass, it's a great way to develop fingerprints and ruin a mirror.

OP: I doubt you'll stop it now it's started without removing the mirror and sealing the back and edges, no idea what is used commercially but warm (so it's runny) epoxy painted on the edges and damage would certainly do the trick as I suspect would pretty much any varnish or paint.

Some silicone sealer attacks mirror silvering, presumably the kind that develops acetic acid as it cures (smells of vinegar) but you'd have to check which type is right to be sure. Sealing the edges probably won't help much anyway.

Mirror glass is cheap, I'd just live with it until I couldn't anymore then replace it.
jk
Post edited at 11:30
 Dax H 15 Aug 2017

> Is it possible to just replace the piece of mirror? You might be pleasantly surprised on how cheap mirror glass actually is.

Should be toughened glass on the bathroom cabinet. That way if it breaks it will go to small bits like a car window rather than sharp spiky bits that might injure someone.

If it's a twin door replace both, if you only do one it probably won't be an exact size match for the other (learned this the hard way)
 Bitsofdeadtree 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Dax H:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. In a best case scenario toughened would be great, however toughened glass still breaks into pieces sharp enough to cut you, however due to the size of pieces, likely only cause you a scratch. The vast majority of mirrors attached to bathroom cabinets, will be safety backed, which is a plastic film that stop's larger shards from becoming detached if the glass were to break.
 birdie num num 16 Aug 2017

Let it carry on until it's about half black and half silvered. Then sell it to Drew Pritchard
 Dax H 16 Aug 2017

I forgot about safety backed, you are correct sir.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...