UKC

Buying a vintage gore tex jacket over a new gore tex jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
je1997 14 Aug 2017

Hi all,
I'm needing to get a new waterproof jacket, however I'm on a low budget. Ive been looking around and I've seen numerous "vintage" gore tex jackets from the 90s, seen a Norrona and it looks great.... however will a gore tex jacket of that age stand up to a full day out in the rain? or should i just get a newer second hand jacket and pay more?
Part of me likes the vintage charm but don't want to get wet obvs, its not a fashion show out there when rain is involved!!!!
Post edited at 18:05
James Jackson 14 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

Mindful that we all have a different definition of low budget, keep an eye out on eBay for newer stuff. I got a great Rab lightweight jacket for about £35 - only a year or two old, really lightweight and very good! Shame I left it in a pub

It's really worth holding out for something like this - newer stuff cheap will be much better than old cheap stuff.
je1997 14 Aug 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

My budget is around £40 max. Yeah I've not really looked much into rab but i will have a look at what is up on eBay. Found a North Face startos hyvent jacket that was in my budget and hardly used, possibly a good choice.

yeah think i will keep an eye out, i just keep reading comments from people who have an old gore tex from the 80s/90s and swear down by it. Just got to take the chance i guess
 Siward 14 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

At that budget I think an old, but crucially little used, jacket would be a good buy. Old goretex is probably less breathable than newer stuff but it was good enough back in the day.

Look out for lowe triple point ceramic- tough as old boots and breathable enough..
In reply to je1997:
Some older jackets can delaminate with use/washing so watch out for those that have been neglected or miss treated. Probably a coincidence, but the only jacket I've had where the laminated lining disintegrated was a TNF one. I had it from new.

On the other hand I've an eVent jacket that was bought second hand many years ago and it's still fully functional and waterproof, so it can be worthwhile picking up a bargain if your careful.
 Dave the Rave 14 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

I got a 12 year old Berghaus Mera Peak off fleebay for £45. Mint condition.
It's certainly still very waterproof and the tapes are immaculate.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a modern jacket as they are not up to scratch compared with the vintage ones, especially for the price involved.
I also got my dad a mint sprayway Tl Torridon for £40.
Trick is to ask for plenty of photos especially of the seams.
 Ridge 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Siward:

> Look out for lowe triple point ceramic- tough as old boots and breathable enough..

It was indeed good stuff. However my triplepoint kit has just spectacularly delaminated - although it must be 15 years old now. As others have said the seams and membrane of old kit needs a very good check over.
 Dave the Rave 14 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:
/202019869286
Items like this. Fleebay
 bouldery bits 14 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

Considered an army surplus gore Tex?

They're pretty basic but will do what you need for the price. Bombproof.

If you don't like the camo look you may be able to find some of the blue RAF ones.
 Ianto Bach 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Siward:
I know everyone's experiences are unique; my only Lowe Triplepoint Ceramic jacket failed after a few years reasonably hard use, rated it at the time though. Conversely, I'm still using a pair of Pheonix Goretex over trousers from over 2 decades ago. Still breathable and waterproof - except the odd crampon "modification".
 Siward 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Ianto Bach:

Maybe it doesn't stand the test of time then.

I still use my old, made to measure Slioch goretex which I bought back in 1991. I still have the receipt. The only thing that's failed is the seam tape that started to drop off after a measly 20 years. New iron on tape however and it's (almost) good as new.
 MischaHY 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

I would go new model lightly used. They go for a pittance on ebay when Mr All The Gear No Idea comes down from his sponsored trek of Peak Mount Snowdon and decides he's never leaving the office again.

As discussed previously older goretex tends to delaminate amongst other things.
 Ridge 15 Aug 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Considered an army surplus gore Tex?

> They're pretty basic but will do what you need for the price. Bombproof.

> If you don't like the camo look you may be able to find some of the blue RAF ones.

Depends what grade of surplus. Some places seem to sell worn out kit stinking of hexy for more than the stuff cost new.
 InSituJames 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Siward:

My Slioch Glenmore smock is still going strong! Velcro is completely finished but that's an easy fix if I wanted. Been using it while dry stone dyking for the last few years. Yet it still lives...
 bouldery bits 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Depends what grade of surplus. Some places seem to sell worn out kit stinking of hexy for more than the stuff cost new.

Yes, this is a good point!
 nniff 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:
My wife was gardening in the rain last week, wearing a vintage goretex jacket (a rather fine Canadian Sierra Designs one). She complained that her back was soaking wet - I told her that that was why it was hanging up in the garage with the gardening jackets, rather than in the cupboard under the stairs with the decent stuff that works.
Post edited at 09:36
 wbo 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997: lots of its and bits here - I have a nearly 30 year old jacket in 3 ply goretex that still works as new, but is very heavy. Conversely I have a much newer (15 year) example that leaks like a sieve.

I'd just look, have some patience and way for a deal on a newer jacket

The Lemming 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Siward:

> Look out for lowe triple point ceramic- tough as old boots and breathable enough..

This stuff is indestructible. I still have my Tripple p[oint jacket from 1991 and the sodding thing will not die. Its relegated to DIY stuff in the rain as the hood stitching lets in a drop of rain at one spot. Otherwise it is bombproof.

JRJG 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

I would keep an eye here on UKC.
I recently bought an Adidas Terrex Gore Tex Pro hardshell for £50, described as 'immaculate condition', I testify that it was just that, if it had been worn half a dozen times I would be surprised. It is a great jacket, very breathable and yet to let any water in, I work outdoors so it gets plenty of trial opportunities.
Likewise I just bought a Mountain Equipment Gore tex Pro hardshell for £40 for my mum, described as very good condition.

Ebay and UKC can be gold mines.

JRJG
 Doug 15 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a lightweight triple point jacket which is probably the best designed jacket I've ever owned. Unfortunately the fabric is very worn, particularly on the shoulders/top of the back, I imagine due to carrying a rucksac, and its no longer waterproof. It now lives in the boot for emergencies and for wearing when putting chains on/off as I longer care if its gets oily/dirty.

I also have a Lowe 3ply goretex jacket (Latok ?) from the early 90s which is still waterproof & in good condition - unfortunately its heavy & takes up quite a lot of space in a bag when not being worn so often stays in the cupboard (maybe one reason its lasted so long....)
 Timmd 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

TKMAXX could be worth a browse every so often. If the seams are okay on an older Goretex, that's the thing to be careful of.
 marsbar 15 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

I have an early 90s three layer goretex that's still going well, the seam tape came loose but that's easy to fix.
 Ridge 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> TKMAXX could be worth a browse every so often.

Just watch they haven't stuck the security tags or labels through the waterproof membrane - it has been known to happen.
 Timmd 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Good point, I don't suppose that's something a dab of superglue wouldn't solve though. If it was a bargain I'd still buy it, and a tube of superglue too.
je1997 16 Aug 2017
In reply to je1997:

Thanks for all the suggestions, defiently lots of options out there. I do like army surplus kit, I have an old Gore-Tex jacket but I've out grown it sadly. Been scouring eBay and I'm continuously finding gore tex none gore tex waterproof jackets, just need to bite the bullet now and pick one up.
Possibly THF HyVent i found, seems ideal just not got that famous Gore-Tex stamp. However, went and tried a Paramo Velez in Craigdon the other day and boy is that thing comfy, few second hand ones on the market right now so may grab one of those.. however with the added requirement to NikWax it on the regular

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...