UKC

Campervan tour of Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 19 Aug 2017
Shortly going to Iceland for a 2 week tour in a hired van. Does anyone have recent experience of non campsite overnight stops? In my ignorance I'd imagined there'd be no problems but I have recently heard that the authorities are clamping down on the practice. Also I hear talk of vouchers bought in advance for campsites - is this recommended? Does it save money?
 Welsh Kate 19 Aug 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've just got back from a trip to Iceland, though we were in tents rather than a van. But there was no difference in price between a tent and a van, you just paid a set price for each person. The most expensive campsite we stayed on cost just under £9 per person, so probably not worth bothering with vouchers (didn't come across any anyway).

Have you rented a 4x4 van that you can take on the highland roads in the interior? Well worth it!

It was clear that some camper vans were staying on roadsides rather than in campsites, but we weren't on the main roads much, so no idea what the authorities might do there.

The road.is website is a great source of info for roads, weather, temperatures etc. as well as indicating whether the roads are 4x4 only or ok for any vehicle.
OP Rog Wilko 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for that useful info.
No, we thought a normal van was expensive enough!
OP Rog Wilko 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Bump.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...