UKC

Oi Big heads! Light weight helmets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Archangel 21 Aug 2017
I know this is a stupid question and that I am being a little lazy but...

I am in the market for a new helmet and fancy a new light weight one.

I have an enormous head and live in Sydney so there isn't a fantastic range to choose from here and I might have to go on line to the UK.

Could any big heads out there make a recommendation for me please?

Jason
 matthew 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
Petzl makes the lightest one I know of. Two sizes. See specs on their website.
 deacondeacon 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
Petzl sirocco is what you want. Not sure how you're going to find out if it fits though.
cb294 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

I have hat size 63cm, and the Petzl Sirocco does not fit,

The Grivel Salamander used to come in two sizes, with the XL version fitting well. Unfortunately Grivel seems to have discontinued the model and gone back to the standard "one size fits garden gnomes only" approach.

CB
 Jonny 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
I thought of the Grivel Stealth. It's about as light as the Sirocco but hard shell and thus much more resistant to crushing. (I have the new model Sirocco and it's comfortable, but one day it's going to get flattened. I can just tell.)

But I see it's only good to 62 cm. Too bad.
Post edited at 09:06
 StuDoig 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

Petzl Alveo is pretty massive and not too heavy. One guy I climb with previously had to have a "special" made up by manufacturer (a cut and shut job putting an extension piece into the helmet to enlarge it) as nothing on the market fitted, but he gets the Alveo on. Not for nothing is he known as cooheid......

Cheers,

Stu

cb294 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

I just checked and Grivel seems to have the Salamander XL back in their program. Goes up to 66cm, if this does not fit you are better off wearing a bath tub.

CB
OP Archangel 21 Aug 2017
In reply to cb294:

I just measured my head at 62 cm (unofficial). So that fits in the stated size 2 range of 53 -67 cm for the (old) orange one but not the new black one.

Life was so much easier when there was just one helmet to choose from.
 Jonny 21 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

Why doesn't it fit? I make 62 smaller than 66.
 Mr Trebus 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

I have a massive head and use a salamander xl but was surprised that the bd vapour (just) fitted comfortably.

It wasn't cheap but much lighter.

Al
 Simon Caldwell 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

I've just bought an Edelrid Shield II. The large size is described as up to 62cm but my head is a couple of cm bigger than that and it fits me.
 Neil Williams 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
I've got the Petzl multi-sport one (I forget what it's called) and it fits me just, I have a massive head and have issues with many other helmets.

Can also get into the Black Diamond Half Dome, just, if you want a more basic one.
Post edited at 14:56
 Robin VdH 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

Hi,

I've got the same issue with finding helmets that fit.

The Black Diamond Vapor might work for you. I've been using one for a while and really like it. The other light weight option might be the Salewa Vayu. It looks really nice, but I've not tried the Vayu out other than trying it on in a shop (it did fit).

I've written a review of helmets for bigger heads on my blog that you might find it useful -
https://thesevereclimber.com/2016/10/14/helmets-big-heads-2/

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Robin
 ben b 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
I have a massive bonce - the joke in our family is I didn't walk until I was 3 because my head kept wobbling over every time I stood up. When I had a JB fibreglass lid I looked like a cross between the Mekon from Dan Dare and an Italian fireman, and once got it so stuck in a chimney I had to undo the buckle and take my head out... I had visions of it being there 10 years later draped in slings ("Pitch 2: climb the chimney to the in-situ helmet, which can be passed with a tricky mantel shelf").

I do however just fit into a fully let out Petzl Ecrin, as long as I don't wear anything more than a polypro balaclava in winter.

I feel your pain. Still, as long as you don't take up caving all will be well.

cheers

b
Post edited at 23:02
 ScraggyGoat 25 Aug 2017
In reply to ben b:

Similar could only fit a thin polypropylene skull cap under an ecrin, when I had a full head of hair! Was never a JB type of lid climber, rather Phoenix alpine......sadly discontinued the strap adjustment gave the most secure fit of any lid I've had.

Of the light weight options the original Patel meteor size 2 was big enough, but not the current incarnation, and the current BD vapour fits me.......

However when you get to the upper end of a size range it's as much about the hat shape as the stated maximum circumference.

ben b 26 Aug 2017
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Indeed. If it's small enough to fit through a doorway I'm happy.

The Patel Meteor sounds interesting...!

b
 Damo 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:
If you've tried the Kent St shops to no avail, try the new Climbing Anchors shop tucked away off Riordan St in Alexandria. I popped in for a look a couple of months ago and they had a few helmets, including the Sirocco.

I have a pretty big head and use an old BD Vector which fits fine.
Post edited at 09:05
 Rob Davies 30 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

Just measured my head at 63.5 cm. I'm using a Simond light weight helmet which fits, is comfortable and is MUCH cheaper than other brands. It's sold by the French chain Decathlon, who also have an online store, but I don't know if they have reached Australia yet.
 Pkrynicki1984 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Archangel:

I've most certainly got a huge head an the BD vapour fits me great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...