UKC

Non-leather B1 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 23 Aug 2017

I'm hoping to do some weekend backpacking trips over the winter, when demands on my time seem to be fewer. To that end I'm looking for a pair of B1 boots. As a vegetarian I prefer to avoid leather if possible.

So: any recommendations for reasonably lightweight, leather-free B1 boots for winter use in the Lakes or Snowdonia?
Post edited at 11:08
 angry pirate 23 Aug 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Not sure whether the suede bit is real or not but these are decent:
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/marmolada-trek/

Mostly softshell and synthetic. Might be worth pinging them a mail to see
 k_os 23 Aug 2017

The Scarpa Rebel Lite is also worth a look too, great boots and although they say they're b2, they're more like a stiff b1. According to the link below, they use a synthetic leather, again, maybe give Scarpa a shout.

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/11746/products/scarpa-mens-rebel-lite-gtx.aspx
 TobyA 23 Aug 2017

Don't get to caught up on if they are called the B1, B2 or even in some instances B3. Have a look at the Sportiva Trango range. Some of them are all synthetic I think, one model is available in Decathlon at a reasonable price too.
 leon 1 23 Aug 2017
Depends how fussy you really are about animal free as the glue usually contains some animal bits?
Salomon:
“Thanks for your inquiry. Vegan shoes are always a tough one because there are different levels of classification for people to claim ‘vegan friendly’. Most of our products are full textile and synthetic materials that are used. However, it is still extremely difficult to get away from glues that don’t have animal products in them. This is the case for pretty much every manufacturer of footwear. So from a materials standpoint, we have plenty of products that don’t have leather materials. From an adhesion standpoint, I cannot confirm that the products don’t have glues that are vegan friendly.”
Scarpa:
“As concern the models which have a completely synthetic upper, we can’t be sure that the glue we use is free of animal derived components. Therefore, we prefer you don’t consider any of our article as vegan.”
The North Face:
“None of our footwear is considered vegan at this time.”

However as Toby suggests at this price, they are a steal......(if they fit you)
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trango-s-evo-gtx-boots-id_8310116.html
Post edited at 12:54
OP Andy Johnson 23 Aug 2017
In reply to leon 1:

> Depends how fussy you really are about animal free as the glue usually contains some animal bits?

I'm pragmatic about these things. If I can avoid leather and suede then I'm happy. In an ideal world I wouldn't want animal-based glues either, but I recognise that this isn't really practical.
As far as B1 & B2 are concerned, it totally depends on the size of your feet and your body weight - big boots flex under more weight. Find a pair of boots that fit and rock on! Unless you're climbing pitched ice it doesn't make that much different. IMHO

I wear B2 but I'm 6'5" 90kg sz11. My partners sz5 B1 at 65kg probably flex way less... just one of those things
Post edited at 22:49
OP Andy Johnson 24 Aug 2017

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...