UKC

Paint for Outdoor Woody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chops 23 Aug 2017
Hi All,

I'm building an outdoor woody (moonboard with an extra section alongside) and was wondering what paint finish to go with.

I'm going with treated timber for the framing and marine ply for the panels but would like to find a paint system that will give it the best chance to survive outdoors (SE England). A bit of googling has left me more confused than when I started with arguments for epoxy resin, latex based paints, stains, high gloss, semi gloss etc.

I'm not too worried about adding texture for friction as the moonboard doesn't seem to leave much room for smearing (I could be wrong here) but would like to avoid high gloss and still get a solid finish that will stand up to the damp weather and my clumsy footwork!

I'm currently leaning towards a couple of coats of Zinsser Allcoat Exterior Satin or just going with a Dulux Weathershield Primer/Undercoat plus top coat(s).

Thanks
 Fraser 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Chops:

You could try something like Sikkens exterior stain/matt varnish.

Are you planning on keeping some sort of cover over the whole assembly when you're not using it or will it always be totally exposed to the elements?
 jkarran 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Chops:

I'd just go with something like Dulux Weathershield but be sure to put a roof on it to keep the worst of the weather off the wall and your holds, the structure is pretty much all there already.
jk
 Durbs 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Chops:

I just used shed/fence paint for mine (Can't remember the brand) - waterproofing paint, and treated the timber too to stop / delay rotting. I added sand for texture (my wall's vertical - moonboard coming soon!).
I also cover it with tarp if lots of rain is forecast.

The main factor should be what you want it to look like
 Durbs 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Chops:

Forgot to check - is this for the front or the back of the board?
OP Chops 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks. I should have mentioned I'm planning on covering with a polycarbonate or GRP sheet roof over the top and back. I'm installing the LEDs so will need some decent rain protection!

I was thinking of drilling all holes first, then painting/staining so all unfinished edges are covered, then fitting the t nuts and LEDs (making sure to size the holes so I can still fit after painting).
OP Chops 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Durbs:

Both sides. I figured it will be easier to do it all before the build.

If I can find a suitable paint that comes in more than one colour I'd try and paint a basic design of some sort on the front. I'll no doubt get carried away and wreck my fingers so it will just be an expensive art installation anyway!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...