UKC

Car Crash. Advice needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 23 Aug 2017
Earlier this year, whilst minding my own business in a queue to get onto a roundabout my car was crashed into by a vehicle which had also been crashed into. A double rear ender so to speak.
My insurance company sorted this on the day as I was not to blame and the claim was settled as such.
They provided a hire car and my car was repaired to my satisfaction.
I was not hurt, no whiplash or anything else but I am now being contacted by companies who tell me that even so, I am entitled to a payout, possibly £2k, at no cost to me. All I have to do is provide the date and details of the other vehicles.
Sounds too good to be true.
Anyone any experience of this?
 martinturner 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

If it's not hurt you or bothered you in the past, why claim?
If you were seriously injured or majorly out of pocket, then it's worth putting a case forward.
But, as much as they throw the temptation your way, I see no reason to claim. You'd only be adding to the 'Claim Culture' problem.
 Tyler 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

> Earlier this year, whilst minding my own business in a queue to get onto a roundabout my car was crashed into by a vehicle which had also been crashed into. A double rear ender so to speak.

> My insurance company sorted this on the day as I was not to blame and the claim was settled as such.

> They provided a hire car and my car was repaired to my satisfaction.

> I was not hurt, no whiplash or anything else but I am now being contacted by companies who tell me that even so, I am entitled to a payout, possibly £2k, at no cost to me. All I have to do is provide the date and details of the other vehicles.

> Sounds too good to be true.

> Anyone any experience of this?
If you haven't been injured and you go ahead with a claim you are defrauding an insurance company. On the other hand you probably won't get caught as insurace companies don't seem to give a shit (or at least mine didn't when I tried to get my insurance company to look into a claim against me in a bit more detail).
 knighty 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

What is the pay out for? Some sort of inconvenience?

Just be aware that claims like this are why insurance premiums are continuing to rise at alarming rates.
 elsewhere 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Tyler:
insurers sell your details to personal injury lawyers if you've had an accident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance...

Insurance companies benefit from bigger claims which result in bigger premiums and a bigger industry.
OP Co1in H 23 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner: I agree with everything said so far and with each call I say that I have not been injured so why should I claim.
The general response is that even in no fault cases and even where you are not injured there is a "fund" set aside by the insurance companies to pay out smallish amounts. Sounds like compensation for your hassle.
I'd like to make it clear that I have not instigated a claim but am being told that there is money available and am seeking advice as to whether this information is true or not.

In reply to Co1in H:

Ask yourself why someone is offering to 'help' you.

They will make money from your 'claim'.

They are parasites.
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:
For information I work at a senior technical level in the Claims department of a large motor insurer I obviously am limited in what I can say.

What these companies are proposing is clearly fraud in your case and you could get jail time for it if prosecuted and found guilty. However the likelihood of this happening varies greatly depending on the insurance company involved as well as who you chose to represent you should you claim. If you do claim, most insurers have pretty robust fraud detection systems that may well be triggered due to lack of previous hospital visits, time elapsed since incident, where you live, age profile, whether the people in the car behind you have been injured (and whether or not they have claimed and if so through which legal rep, police/ambulance attendance etc. If you do chose to speak more to these companies and are honest with them, they SHOULD not not pursue this any further and will agree the most you could get it some small payout for inconvenience if you did not already receive it as part of your original settlement. If they do then you would do better to phone the action fraud line (without letting the company know) who may want you to pursue the claim in order to gather evidence to take action.

Unfortunately over the years there have been some very questionable court judgements made with regards to whiplash cases in particular in some cases disregarding physics. (Very slow impacts with no damage to vehicles, Bus passengers after a small car (~2ton) ran into a London bus(~12ton) @ 10mph etc). Whiplash as a condition clearly exists and some people suffer awfully from it sometimes for a day or 2, sometimes for 2-3 months, and some people longer still & get twinges etc years later that could be attributable to the original injury. It is also an injury that doesn't seem to have any definitive medical diagnosis that can be evidenced with scans like for instance a break and here lies the problem it cannot be proven either way so our courts often favour the complainant. As a result some insurers chose to settle low and early with every claimant, others investigate fully and reject weak claims and are prepared to defend them at the cost of paying out more, but less often.

The first approach has given rise to claim farming companies sending out proforma text messages to anyone involved in a crash they have info on, and many that have never even seen a crash, and not asking the questions they really should and coaching of statements, suggestion of symptoms etc

My company has fairly recently taken the second approach, and we are seeing the number of claims coming in from certain legal representatives falling off a cliff as they realise they can no longer farm our claims.

It really is noticeable how many more people claim for whiplash injuries in the UK compared to any other country in Europe. There are also clear hotspots in certain areas of the country, as well as a clear urban/rural split. Interestingly the least likely groups to claim for whiplash in the UK are more well off, the older you are and geographically Scottish

But whiplash is not the only problem. There is also an astonishing percentage of people in very minor car crashes claiming to be unable to sleep due to pts for months after the incident etc.

And it looks like noise induced hearing loss is the next big meal ticket

Then there is the aspect of your premium. by making this claim even though it is not your fault you would have to declare it and it will increase your premium by a small amount for the next 5 years if only slightly due to an increased propensity to claim score. Failing to declare it to your insurer isn't sensible... insurance co's are all linked up now and whilst they may not check now, the will if you make a claim and will at least seek to collect the missing premium.

It will also contribute to the premium increase of everyone else.
Post edited at 00:34
Jim C 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

I regularly get calls telling me I have been in an accident ( I've not) and that I am due compensation .
 Greenbanks 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:
We've just had the best part of a year helping our daughter fend off these ambulance-chasing maggots. They are appallingly insistent, and after what she'd been though (car write off in an artic side-swipe on the M3) she was put under intense pressure by wide-boys indicating that 'she had a cast iron case' (when they probably hadn't a clue about the circumstances). Phishing blighters.

The whole insurance think stinks too: even though the accident was someone else's fault (and duly acknowledged by all the insurers involved) she's now had a premium bumped up because 'once in an accident the stats say you're likely to be in another). They're maggots too...and we're angry and p*ssed off!

Don't get involved with them!
Post edited at 06:01
 Jenny C 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

We had the same after a minibus hit my car when parked (I was actually in work at the time, so the car was unattended and no injuries). Got to the point where I almost considered making a claim just to get them off my back and make fools of them when I gave an honest account of where I was when it happened.

The insurance companies complain about us for making false claims, then sell our details to ambulance chasers and wonder why people are tempted to make false or geedy claims.
In reply to Co1in H:

I was hit some 6-7 years ago and still get calls, it's really annoying as I wasn't really hurt and didn't claim.

What really pissed me off was the car was only a few years old and repair started rusting a year or so after the work was done. My advice is be VERY picky about accepting the work after the repair, in particular make sure they used main manufacturer parts and NOT pattern parts...
XXXX 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

When this happened to me I contacted my insurer and told them that selling my details to these companies without my consent was in contravention of the data protection act and what were they going to do about it?

They sent me a cheque to say sorry.

damowilk 24 Aug 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

And from the medical POV, there's evidence that an ongoing claim increases recovery time and worsens outcomes.
This is the main reason I love the Accident Claim Compensation system in NZ (possibly the only country wide no fault system in the world?): people get better from accident neck pain so much quicker, insurance premiums are a lot lower and litigation for accidents almost unheard of.
baron 24 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Is NZ still the place where you don't have to be insured?
 spidermonkey09 24 Aug 2017
In reply to baron:

Western Australia!
 Toerag 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> I regularly get calls telling me I have been in an accident ( I've not).

Were you so drunk you can't remember?
Post edited at 10:34
OP Co1in H 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:
Thanks everyone.
You've reinforced my point of view and I shall continue to stave off these "invitations".
 NottsRich 24 Aug 2017
A friend recently had a low speed car crash, no injuries to anyone, and the insurance completed repairs etc with no problems. However, his insurance company were pushing him to make an injury claim. He had a doctors report stating no injury etc and yet the insurance company were still pushing him to make an injury claim.

What really pisses me off is that the cost of insurance is going up, supposedly in part due to injury claims and false/unnecessary injury claims. This is one of the main reasons that insurance companies give us for increasing premiums, and yet those same companies are the ones pushing people to make injury claims! Absolute feckin scum.
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Are you aware for instance of this ruling? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14946628

This eventually went the way of RSA. Thus making it impossible for other insurance co's to be competitive without doing similar. (This is what I meant by some rather unfortunate court rulings in recent times)

Chris Harris 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I regularly get calls telling me I have been in an accident ( I've not) and that I am due compensation .

I wonder how far through the process you could go (at no financial or legal risk to yourself) before telling the legal parasites involved to sod off?

I once managed to keep a cold caller on the phone, discussing car insurance, for quite some time before I let them know that I don't have a car.
In reply to Co1in H:

This is a SCAM. I receive many calls, often from robots, telling me they are calling about my car accident trying to help meget compensation. Never had an accident. They ring my dad, he doesn't even drive anymore!

Tell them to get lost.

Dax H 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

> I wonder how far through the process you could go (at no financial or legal risk to yourself) before telling the legal parasites involved to sod off?

> I once managed to keep a cold caller on the phone, discussing car insurance, for quite some time before I let them know that I don't have a car.

I like to do this from time to time.
If I am traveling and on the Bluetooth it can be quite good fun.
The last one was my personal favourite.
Cutting a very long story short I binned my motorbike in the snow.
The parasite was on for a good 30 mins with me as I pretended not to understand and fed enough info to keep him on, it's only when he asked me who was at fault in my opinion and who should pay that I lost him.
My answer was God. He asked me to clarify and I said that if God had not made it snow I wouldn't have fallen off so his insurance should be liable.
He hung up.
Deadeye 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Dax H:

Apologies for the slight hijack (well, complete hijack really); might I ask you expertise on this please:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=670070
In reply to Co1in H:
I can tell you that genuine whiplash hurts like merry hell!!!! That said, I have never had it when driving, only once when completely mistiming a button lift when skiing. I was distracted and it hit me like a train, yanking me and throwing me over quite the distance whilst flinging my head back violently. Then next few days were very painful indeed.
Post edited at 14:26
 Bob Hughes 25 Aug 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Now there's a middle class injury if ever there was one

Dave the Rave 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

I know of a family that have received payouts for such instances and also ask for compensation for anything that inconveniences them. They all work.
I was very happy when their daughter missed out on a government help to buy payment due to their geography. It's called Karma. Avoid the temptation bud.
OP Co1in H 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave: I have, totally.
The company that have been pushing me rang back on Friday and I asked politely that they do not bother me again and remove me from whatever list I am on.
He wasn't happy but he did say they would not call again.
Thanks for all the advice.

Dax H 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

Exactly the right thing to do.
Bloody parasites the lot of them.
I once had one after I told him I had not been injured in any way that if I changed my story and told him I had experienced some pain he could guarantee me £2000 of free money.
It's not free money, it's money through deception and though we all get screwed over by insurance companies it wouldn't be quite as high if it wasn't for frodulent claims.
 birdie num num 28 Aug 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

When you're at the solicitor's office remember.... keep your neck totally stiff, don't forget yourself and swivel it when the secretary goes past.
Jim C 28 Aug 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> Were you so drunk you can't remember?

I don't drink alcohol.

I have now identified the main call centre number that was handling these calls and blocked it.
Jim C 28 Aug 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

> I once managed to keep a cold caller on the phone, discussing car insurance, for quite some time before I let them know that I don't have a car.

Now that I am retired I have more time to do something like that, but I doubt I would be bothered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...