UKC

coloured chalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeruckus 25 Aug 2017
Something for forum users to waste time on for about 2 minutes.

https://www.thoughtco.com/use-colored-chalk-to-leave-no-trace-755626
1. climbers leave chalk marks on rock
2. national parks ban used of white chalk, because
a) longterm it damages the rock (in this instance, soft sandstone)
b) it leaves unsightly discolouration (particularly: white marks on red sandstone)
3. In response, companies produce 'nature coloured' chalks: greys, reds etc. eg. https://www.onsightgear.com/collections/pur-chalk-premium-eco-friendly-colo...

3 addresses 2b but not 2a. The national parks rules say “The use of chalk (calcium carbonate) in conjunction with technical climbing and bouldering is prohibited. A chalk substitute that does not discolor the rock may be used.” Coloured chalks are still chalk.

I'm finding it strange to think that someone would make a conscious choice to buy grey chalk (calcium carbonate) because they imagine themselves to thereby be doing something virtuous. If you're sympathetic to 2b but aren't sure about whether 2a applies – whether the calcium carbonate you're using will damage the rock longterm – why make a choice to use _coloured_ chalk? You could just brush chalk marks away afterwards?

I think I'd be interested in seeing what a popular and chalk-coated crag (perhaps not in a national park or nature spot) would look like if people climbed with a kids'-rainbow pallet of chalks.

Final thought – does it happen in the UK? Are there 'chalk restrictions' which people avoid/evade by using 'nature-coloured' chalk?
 Appleby 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

> pallet of chalks.

So I have to bring a forklift bouldering now?
 AlanLittle 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

Coloured chalk was tried in the late 80s / early 90s and failed dismally. Guess what: rock isn't all the same colour, and orange blobs on brown rock turned out not to be less visually obtrusive than white blobs.

What are you gonna do on Gogarth? Turquoise & pink chalk bags depending on what colour lichen patch you're currently in?
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

Is it coloured chalk or chalk of colour?
 Kirill 25 Aug 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Would you get a "camo" chalk if you crumble different coloured ones into your chalkbag? I think I may be onto something.
 SDM 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Appleby:

> So I have to bring a forklift bouldering now?

How else are you going to carry all the pairs of shoes you need?
 johncook 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:
This could lead to a whole new trend which would keep the indoor to outdoor transition climbers happy. When doing a boulder problem, on say Minus Wall at Stoney, you had to stick to the coloured chalk specified for that particular problem, the holds would then become coated in chalk of that colour! Voila, coloured holds to make them easier to see. As no one ever brushes all the chalk off boulder problems this would make bouldering outside more acceptable. (If someone could invent a machine to recycle chalk from holds there is a whole lot of it to be recovered from this wall! Unfortunately!)
The same principle could also be applied to sport routes!
There is a whole series of marketing chances out there for some entrepreneur to take advantage of!
Post edited at 10:19
 Martin Bennett 25 Aug 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Coloured chalk was tried in the late 80s / early 90s and failed dismally.

I used to get the grey chalk and reckoned it was considerably less obtrusive than white in most cases. Obviously I can only speak for the places I climbed most at the time - Scotland/Lakes/N Wales/Peak & Yorks lime & grit. All round the grey was better aesthetically.
I have no idea about the chemistry of chalk v rock and any deleterious effects that might accrue from their juxtaposition.

RX-78 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

Well for 2a I see it says chalk (calcium carbonate) but a quick google will show that it seems most climbing/gym chalk is now magnesium carbonate. I think it is the calcium in chalk that is needed to cause erosion so maybe magnesium carbonate chalk does not cause this? Any chemists out there?
 Toerag 25 Aug 2017
In reply to RX-78:

I'm pretty sure chalk is nowhere near as erosive as acid rain.
 nniff 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Kirill:

> Would you get a "camo" chalk if you crumble different coloured ones into your chalkbag? I think I may be onto something.

It would always end up as that sludgy browny-purple colour that dominated art lessons as a kid....
 Jon Greengrass 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

4. don't use chalk, everyone is happy.
 Martin Bennett 25 Aug 2017
In reply to RX-78:
most climbing/gym chalk is now magnesium carbonate.

I understood it was always light magnesium carbonate, best known as an indigestion remedy? In the early eighties I used to obtain it in industrial 5kg bags exceedingly cheaply from a factory that used it as an ingredient in making rubber compounds, and also in unsaleable damaged bags direct from a pharmaceuticals factory that manufactured it. Their version was a bit light and dry and therefore "flyaway" in that it didn't properly adhere to fingers - until, that is, I'd stored the bags open in a dampish garage for a while taking on moisture. After that it was fine. Couldn't get it coloured though.
Post edited at 12:50
 Steve Perry 25 Aug 2017
In reply to joeruckus:

Fake News

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...