UKC

New TV shows worth a punt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2017
What new stuff would you recommend?

I've enjoyed:

Lucifer. Not what I was expecting and exceptionally funny with the devil learning what it is to be human
Claws. Mindless fun with a group of women in a Nail's Parlour laundering money for the Dixieland Mafia

I was not impressed with the 1980's female wrestling show. The pilot was awful.
 planetmarshall 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Westworld. Excellent, thought provoking and like the scifi/western hybrid.

Also has Anthony Hopkins who doesn't know how to be rubbish.
In reply to The Lemming:

New season of Narcos starts nxt week
 TobyA 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
I just watched that thing on Channel 4 that has been called the Norwegian version of Girls, "Young and Promising". I quite enjoyed it. All the characters are considerably nicer people than the characters in Girls, but I also have very fond memories of being in my twenties and carefree in the soft white summer nights of a civilised, Nordic capital, so was perhaps always going to have a soft spot for a show that could show that. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/young-and-promising/on-demand

If you've got Amazon Prime, you should check out the Canadian cop drama 19-2. Originally in French (being set in Montreal) the English version on Amazon I thought was really good. Just being Canadian makes it a bit different from your standard US cop shows. The episode that depicts a school shooting (might be S2) is superbly made and rather harrowing.
Post edited at 17:40
 Steve Perry 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Not that new but I recently watched the first season of True Detective with Matthew Mcconaughy and Woody Harrelson. A very edgy series and keeps you wanting the next episode.
 TobyA 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Oh and while on the subject of Norwegian absurdism, if you haven't seen it, the police comedy Hellfjord is worth checking out. A Pakistani-Norwegian policeman from Oslo accidentally shoots his own police horse in front of a crowd of kids, so get exiled to a tiny fishing village in the far north (it was filmed in a town called Gryllefjord on Senja - so great climbing and ski touring all around it in real life!). Kind of like Hot Fuzz just with more fish and less ice creams.
 TobyA 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming: ...oh and...

Have you watched Silicon Valley and Broad City? My two favourite comedies of recent years.
 wilkie14c 25 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

i've really enjoyed recently:

Black sails (4 seasons)
vikings (4 seasons)
Ozark

comedy:
schitts creek
the detour
 Tom Valentine 26 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

19 2 is absolutely top drawer.
The only cop show that has come near it recently on TV is Southland.

Meanwhile on Sky I will once again put in a vote for The Leftovers. Don't be put off by the title, it's enthralling.
Currently watching Ray Donovan and an Israeli thing called False Flag.
both very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...