UKC

Decent hex on wire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 25 Aug 2017
Why is it now the only hexes on wire I can find are the Black Diamond ones which are rather square and hard to place? My friend has a nice old set of hexes which are more like the DMM profile with the curved edge, but all the ones in that shape are on Dyneema.

Any ideas?
In reply to springfall2008:

Wild Country did make Rockcentics on wire, as well as dyneema, when they were first introduced but they were quickly discontinued. That's many, many years ago now.

I've tried all sorts of gear over the last two decades and after realising that a Rockcentric size 6 was a useful addition to my selection of large wires, I've since stockpiled a couple that I acquired second hand. I've met at least another climber who's done the same thing and bought a complete spare set second hand.

Other than going with the BD Hexes which can be useful, (one of my partners has a couple of medium sized ones on his rack,) keeping an eye out for some second hand Rockcentrics is pretty much your only option.
Post edited at 19:33
 Andypeak 26 Aug 2017

Think rock empire do hexes on wires. Don't know what they are like though
Deadeye 26 Aug 2017

Why do you want them on wire? Wire fails and is not replaceable. Tape or cord can be rpalec and is less likely to shift the placement.
 jimtitt 26 Aug 2017

Rock Empire make more traditional-looking hexes on wire, CAMP make curved/rounded ones called the Carvex.
In reply to Deadeye:

I have the larger DMM hexes on dyneema but they are much more fiddly to place than a hex on wire. The wired ones are great when you just need to throw in something bigger in a hurry
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> Wild Country did make Rockcentics on wire, as well as dyneema, when they were first introduced but they were quickly discontinued. That's many, many years ago now.

Yes that's the one, almost impossible to find now
In reply to jimtitt:

> Rock Empire make more traditional-looking hexes on wire, CAMP make curved/rounded ones called the Carvex.

These look good, I might give them a try, thanks
 tspoon1981 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

> Think rock empire do hexes on wires. Don't know what they are like though

They do, but the range is quite limited. I bought a set from Kouba, the max size is 4cm I think, about the same size as a #7 BD hex
 jimtitt 26 Aug 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

The biggest Camp one is gigantic, maybe about the size of the old Rockcentric 11. Looks like they might also no longer be made so you´ d have to search around for a stockist.
In reply to jimtitt:

> The biggest Camp one is gigantic, maybe about the size of the old Rockcentric 11. Looks like they might also no longer be made so you´ d have to search around for a stockist.

For the larger ones I'm happy to stick with the DMM, it's more the mid-size I think I need.
In reply to jimtitt:

> Rock Empire make more traditional-looking hexes on wire, CAMP make curved/rounded ones called the Carvex.

They look good but seem hard to find anyone selling them in sets?
 beardy mike 26 Aug 2017

There are also some made by Metolius, including a sling extension like on a cam. http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/curve_hex.html
In reply to beardy mike:

Those look great but I can't find anyone in the UK selling them, any ideas?
 jimtitt 26 Aug 2017

As I said, they appeared to be discontinued but climbing outlet in Poland seems to have all the sizes and GearExpress in the USA as well. From experience I can´ t think of a piece of equipment I´ d want less!
 beardy mike 26 Aug 2017

Try contacting beyond hope, metolius' distributors, or buy direct from the states. I suspect they are UIAA rated, not CE rated as Metolius doesn't sell much in the EU. Pretty much the same rating, so no concerns re strength...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...