UKC

What's your Pack Weight?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 26 Aug 2017
Got mine for the TMB to 17lbs(7.7Kg)
 wbo 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex: is that good or bad? What's in it?

Recently I worked out my tent, sleeping bag and mat came to <2.5 kilos, and even better, actually worked at that weight

Welsh Kate 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Is this for huts? Does it include sleeping bag? Food and water?
 Doug 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

does that include food & water for a day ? If not it seems a bit heavy although I'm sure many carry more
OP mypyrex 26 Aug 2017

> Is this for huts? Does it include sleeping bag? Food and water?

Yes, huts. Sheet sleeping bag. Snacks but not water. Might dispense with hut shoes(flip flops) and a set of clothing.
OP mypyrex 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Doug:

> does that include food & water for a day ?
Food but not water
 wercat 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I find ditching the 3rd tin of Whiskas per day saves a bit of weight in my pack
 Welsh Kate 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you are able to reduce it further I'd certainly give it a go, the less you carry the more you'll enjoy the trip.
 Brass Nipples 26 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Yes, huts. Sheet sleeping bag. Snacks but not water. Might dispense with hut shoes(flip flops) and a set of clothing.

Going naked is the best policy for going lightweight.
 summo 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Going naked is the best policy for going lightweight.

No need to worry about cutting the labels off your clothing. Just trim your nails and hair, then you are as lightweight as possible.
 Brass Nipples 26 Aug 2017
In reply to summo:

It's the new alpinism

veteye 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Does it include the policy of squeezing out the zits and carbuncles?
 veteye 27 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I am unsure of whether to take my digital SLR to do the Haute Route. The trade-off is better images and images that are not missed through slow mechanisms on compacts and smart phones Vs less slog.
I've even considered a wide-angle zoom and also a 300mm telephoto.
OP mypyrex 27 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

> I am unsure of whether to take my digital SLR to do the Haute Route. The trade-off is better images and images that are not missed through slow mechanisms on compacts and smart phones Vs less slog.

> I've even considered a wide-angle zoom and also a 300mm telephoto.

Yes, I've had that quandary in the last week or so but I've finally decided that the quality of my compact camera(set at the highest resolution) and the weight and bulk saving is sufficient to justify leaving my "bridge" camera at home.
 Brass Nipples 27 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

> Does it include the policy of squeezing out the zits and carbuncles?

Monstrous comment
OP mypyrex 27 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

> I am unsure of whether to take my digital SLR to do the Haute Route. The trade-off is better images and images that are not missed through slow mechanisms on compacts and smart phones Vs less slog.

> I've even considered a wide-angle zoom and also a 300mm telephoto.

Should also have mentioned that I'm taking a Go Pro on this trip.
Just been looking at Kev Reynolds guide in which he indicates a maximum weight would be 20lbs(10Kg)
 veteye 27 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Are you worried about the Go-Pro getting stolen whilst in dormitory settings?
OP mypyrex 27 Aug 2017
In reply to veteye:

> Are you worried about the Go-Pro getting stolen whilst in dormitory settings?

I usually find other refuge user tend to be quite honest. Also I am sure a lot of people using huts etc. carry many equally valuable and attractive items
 Doug 27 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

10Kg may be OK for some but if I've remembered right you've been quite ill and are not as young as many of Kev Reynold's readers. So go as light as possible
 Brass Nipples 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Doug:

> 10Kg may be OK for some but if I've remembered right you've been quite ill and are not as young as many of Kev Reynold's readers. So go as light as possible

That's not a target but rather a maximum including tent, stove, sleeping bag etc. Suggest you aim below 5kg for a hut to hut walk.
OP mypyrex 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Doug:

> 10Kg may be OK for some but if I've remembered right you've been quite ill and are not as young as many of Kev Reynold's readers. So go as light as possible

Without being under equipped I'm not sure what else I can dump.

veteye 27 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I suppose I am cynical, having had 2 ice-axes stolen in the past, one before I had even used it once!
(> I usually find other refuge user tend to be quite honest.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...