UKC

Loud RRRR-ing noise from the back of my fridge-freezer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 13 Sep 2017

What usually causes this, is it an eventual/inevitable wearing out of the motor at the back and bottom of the fridge, or is it due to it needing defrosting and/or vent holes unblocking inside the fridge part more frequently?

It's suddenly just started to make a racket every so often, and I've had it since 2013.

Thanks
Clauso 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Have you checked it for cold rattlesnakes?
 nacnud 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:
You're asking on a climbing forum for advice on domestic appliances?!?

Your fridge freezer is lonely, buy a table top beer fridge and it'll stop pining.
Post edited at 01:43
OP Timmd 13 Sep 2017
In reply to nacnud:

> You're asking on a climbing forum for advice on domestic appliances?!?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=671002

Greasy Prusiks 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Polar bear.
 Sir Chasm 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

It's a pirate, probably BBBBB-blackbeard.
 Big Ger 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Tiger, obvs.
 DerwentDiluted 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Given the number of house fires caused by fridges and tumble driers I'd get it looked at by someone with more of a clue than the average Ucker.
 Sam Beaton 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I've asked several DIY-type questions on here and always had very helpful advice.

I had the same problem as you a few months ago. A bag of frozen peas was too close to the fan in the back of the freezer and the bag was catching in it. I moved the peas and the noise disappeared.
Rigid Raider 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Defrosting might help but the compressor is wearing out. It will get worse and worse as it loses efficiency and will eventually fail. In this throw-away age there's no point in trying to get it repaired; just buy a new fridge, which will be more efficient anyway.
In reply to Timmd:

Do you keep your Frosties behind the fridge?

Maybe the motor has come slightly loose and is making a noise whilst vibrating? Try nudging the fridge to see if you can move the motor so it makes less noise when it vibrates.

If it is Tony is behind the fridge, he seems like a friendly chap. If it's the Tiger who came to tea, them make sure you have plenty of food in the cupboards and plenty of tea and daddys beer in the fridge.

If it's Ming of Harlem, then I would get the f*ck out of there quick sharp http://theforceexpansive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/ming-and-friends.html
 Stu Tyrrell 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Have you lost an alarm clock by any chance....
 krikoman 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Is it full of penguins?
 MonkeyPuzzle 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Is it where you keep your R'ed cheeses?
 Si_G 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Hedgehogs. The spines get stuck in the vents and rattle against the fan.
 nufkin 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

In my fridge-freezer, the air to cool the fridge appears to be drawn from the freezer, but every few months ice builds up on the freezing element enough to start blocking the pipe connecting the two. A quick defrosting seems to do the trick.
Also dust building up on the elements on the back can apparently stress the system, but I can't really get at mine to do anything about it
OP Timmd 13 Sep 2017
In reply to nufkin:
Aha. The noise stops as soon as I open the freezer compartment at the bottom of it - which needs defrosting. Thanks very much.
Post edited at 14:46
OP Timmd 13 Sep 2017
In reply to nufkin:

It would seem that when I close the freezer door, the little fan starts and it rattles, seemingly harmlessly perhaps, and it's the vibrations being magnified through the whole fridge/freezer which makes it loud and serious sounding.

I'm going to look into getting the little fan and/or motor replaced and see what happens, it isn't the compressor at the bottom at the back, but the little fan which draws air from the freezer unit. Leaving to freezer door ajar stops it making a noise for the time being (there wasn't much in it anyway).
Rigid Raider 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Where will you store Granny while you're changing the fan?
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Surely this case would be RRRRRedbeard
OP Timmd 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> Where will you store Granny while you're changing the fan?

It just needed defrosting a bit in the end, she'd not started to thaw enough to smell.

Post edited at 18:46
 wercat 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

How often do you empty your fridge?

Could it be that some tiny lifeforms have evolved and survived long enough to ride tiny Vespa scooters?
OP Timmd 13 Sep 2017
In reply to wercat:

Did you grow up in my family without us noticing? We wondered about the same thing happening on removing the old cooker after it'd been there for 30 years, little creatures walking out from under it thinking 'coo I exist'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...