UKC

Vermont in July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 23 Sep 2017
Say I found myself in Vermont next summer and had a few days spare, where would I go for a climbing adventure?

Like as not I'd have a car and could take a full trad rack if required but probably couldn't manage a bouldering mat. Vermont itself looks hot and humid and according to the UKC logbooks is a bit sparse.

Anything from an evening roadside sport cragging to an alpine adventure considered!
 Alan Rubin 26 Sep 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Where in Vermont would you likely be? While Vermont does not have either the quantity or quality of the climbing of it's neighboring states, there is still plenty available especially in the northern and central regions. The rock on the most popular cliffs is primarily a reasonable quality schist, but there are significant granite areas as well. The climbing community is small and spread out a bit (primarily centered in the bigger cities such as Burlington--not that any Vermont cities are very large), but quite active. CragVT is the local advocacy group and is a good contact organization through which to meet local climbers. Also access to crags in NY,NH, and Massachusetts (as well as Quebec) is easy from the nearby parts of Vermont. As for the weather, yes it can be hot and humid at times during the summer, but there are periods of fine conditions as well. Additionally it is a mountainous state, so some of the higher areas--though often easy accessible such as Smugglers Notch and Deer Leap--will have cooler conditions than in the lowlands. Let me know where you expect to be staying and I can give you more specific details.
 dsh 26 Sep 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I'm not sure from your post above if you'll have access to a car or not and that will massively impact what you can do but depending on your location if you have a few days spare it's worth heading to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. There is a huge amount of climbing here, including some excellent large cliffs of clean granite.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/cannon-cliff-/107340274
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/cathedral-ledge/105908823
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/whitehorse-ledge/105909079

I've not climbed in Vermont, I'm sure what's there is good, but for a climber visiting from Europe the White Mountains would be a more spectacular location from a climbing perspective. Vermont has better beer though, don't miss anything by The Alchemist, or Hill Farmstead.

It's a year out but if you need a partner I would be down to climb.

A location and if you have to stay there or you can travel for several days climbing would help me give a recommendation. Vermont itself has an area larger than Wales, but it's narrow and has a highway running through it, so depending where you are travel times might not be too long.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...