UKC

Mississippi Buttress Direct

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Saxby 24 Sep 2017
Hello

I was at Stanage today & amongst other things I did Mississipi Buttress Direct. I have done this route 2 or 3 times but it will be at least 10 years since I did last.

I noticed that there is a large block which is quite loose as you move right after the initial crack. It is the trapezoid block with a point on the right end approx 5m from the ground. I can't remember this been loose in the past. How long has it been loose?

I suspect at some point it will become dangerous. Obviously I was not in the best position to see/experiment to see how loose it actually was but it moves when pressure is put on either end. I thought I would post here for discussion & for information

Regards
Andy

Jon Stewart 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:

Been loose for yonks. It'll be grand.

Tell you what though, it's not one of my favourite routes at all. When I'm a-pottering, I tend to do the Variant, which has lovely satisfying moves rather than awkward/bunched/bulge-pushing-into-your-face move that peter out into an anti-climax. Not deserving of its reputation at all, that one.
OP Andy Saxby 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

How long is yonks?
 Pedro50 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:
> How long is yonks?

Donkey's years
Post edited at 23:02
In reply to Pedro50:

Funny don't remember it been loose before at all & generally have a good memory for this type of thing. Could be wrong or it could be worse now.
 gribble 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:

Be honest Andy. You broke Stanage, didn't you.
 Pedro50 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:

Sorry I was just defining yonks. Apologies for hijack.
In reply to Pedro50:

No problem Pedro
In reply to gribble:

Yes, also responsible for Brexit & the lack of world peace????
 gribble 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:

If the hat fits....!
In reply to gribble:

Find out what size it is????
 Jon Stewart 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:
I reckon I've been climbing it fairly regularly for going on 10 years. I tend to notice, and get upset when people break Stanage. Never got face on about this route, and I'm aware of the rocking block near the start, so it must be OK.
Post edited at 23:20
In reply to Jon Stewart:

John

Firstly my post was intended to inform because I was not aware it was loose & neither my partner or another friend remember it being loose.

Secondly I did not break Stanage as you say it has been loose for a time

Thirdly my replies to Gribble were intended as humour as his response may have been in the first place

Finally I have not got a face on at all as I say it was intended as information

Sorry if I have upset you in any way

Regards
Andy
 Jon Stewart 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Andy Saxby:

Misinterpreted my post? I don't think either of us have got face on due to the rocking block 5m up on MBD. You seem mildly concerned, whereas I am blase. (Still don't know how to do the e-accute-accent, sorry).
OP Andy Saxby 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

John

Fair enough, glad you are OK. I agree it is difficult to to get the point you are trying to make across in a forum like you would in a conversation. As you correctly identify I was mildly concerned for others in the future, which may well be unfounded.

However once some years ago there was a larger loose block on Autumn Flakes at Bosigran. which could not possibly come out in my judgement. However I know it could because it did a few weeks later when friend of mine was climbing the route. Interestingly he also thought it could not come out as he was climbing past it, but it did. I only mention this so you might see why I posted in the first place.

Anyway enough of this for today as it's time for bed for me

Regards
Andy
 Rob Davies 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

é - Hold down Alt and type 0233 - works in most applications.
 Jimbo C 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Not deserving of its reputation at all, that one.

Yep. I've done it once, and it's not on my 'want to do it again' list. I don't get why so many people love it.

radddogg 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Davies:

Even easier to hold down Alt Gr and type e

ééééééééééééééééééééééééé
 CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

do you mean Mississippi Variant Direct? Mississippi Variant still has the awkward crux of the VS IIRC but with some rather nice climbing beyond that. I quite like both roues tbh.
 Jon Stewart 25 Sep 2017
In reply to radddogg:

> Even easier to hold down Alt Gr and type e

Ta. I'm also niave to how to do the two little dots...

Yanis Nayu 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hope that helps.
 Jon Stewart 25 Sep 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> do you mean Mississippi Variant Direct? Mississippi Variant still has the awkward crux of the VS IIRC but with some rather nice climbing beyond that. I quite like both roues tbh.

I've done Variant Direct a couple of times without a rope, sketchily. Sometimes when I've done it *with* a rope it's felt like I might fall off, so not a potterer for me, that one. I don't think the original has much of a crux, but on the Variant, you do miss out the most awkward bits and get to do some brilliant climbing with a fun layback followed by swinging out on a juggy rail - way more cool and fun.
 radddogg 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hold Alt and press F4
pasbury 26 Sep 2017
In reply to radddogg:

> Hold Alt and press F4

I've never heard of anyone doing Mississippi Variant that way.
 Gone 26 Sep 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> I've never heard of anyone doing Mississippi Variant that way.

Indeed! That is the hidden sequence to Verandah Buttress, that. Shame on you for letting the secret slip out.
 Rob Davies 26 Sep 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Not when you've already memorised not just Alt 0233 but all the other occasionally useful numerical codes for accents, etc.:

é ê è ø ç ¾ ü ñ

and so on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...