UKC

Source of replacement elastic tape for harness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Davies 25 Sep 2017
Anyone know where to get replacement elasticated tape for a harness? This is the tape that joins the leg loops to the waist belt and stops the leg-loops from dropping down towards your knees. It's not a load-bearing part of the harness and the 1 cm wide tape supplied (with a DMM harness) doesn't last very long in my experience (less than 12 months use). First couple of times it goes you can stitch it back to the leg-loop, but I now need to replace it. Meanwhile I have bodged a repair with nylon tape but this doesn't work so well, as it's not stretchy.

I've looked on Amazon but nothing turned up that fitted the bill. I suspect a John Lewis haberdashery department might be of more use than a climbing shop for this stuff, but I don't have one nearby.

If I was paranoid I might think that manufacturers build the harness this way with flimsy tape so that you have to throw it away and buy another, but my guess is that it is more likely due to a misguided effort at weight-saving by the designer.
 petegunn 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Davies:

I bought a metre from a local fabric/sowing shop for £1
OP Rob Davies 25 Sep 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks, that makes sense. I will try somewhere in Chester.
 WildCamper 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Davies:

I get stuff like that off ebay
 Jenny C 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Davies:

My BD harness had a stupid slow release system on the legs which was utterly unusable when trying to loop them back up after a comfort break.

Modified them by adding a couple of quick release buckles and webbing off an old rucksack. Not stretchy (neither were the originals) but means I can now take a comfort break without having to take the harness off.
OP Rob Davies 26 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for the replies, yourself and others.

I got some 1 cm wide elastic tape from Abakhan in Chester today - 50 p for 2 metres! It will do the job, though it doesn't look very durable and may wear out fairly quickly. Now that I know where to get more when I need it this isn't an issue.

The equivalent elastic tape on my older (5 years?) Wild Country harness was wider, 18 mm, and lasted a lot longer.

Perhaps in future I should make more effort to avoid excess wear by not descending steep, wet grass on my bum, but on a recent trip to Lundy this seemed to be by far the safest method...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...