UKC

Stoer Lighthouse Cliffs - thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 machino 03 Oct 2017
Stoer Lighthouse Cliffs

I'm staying at the Lighthouse for a while soon, and wondering if the routes on the Lighthouse cliffs are worth an afternoon's exertion between bigger days out. Has anyone been down there? Are they chossy as hell? Worth a go? There's not much in the log books.
 ASharpe 03 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

There is a bit of bouldering just below the lighthouse - south down the grass and a wee scramble. Some easier short walls and some pretty hard stuff too.
 Tony Jones 04 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

But what a place to stay!

You could always forget the climbing, drink wine, and look at the sunsets.

Enjoy! Whatever you do.
OP machino 04 Oct 2017
In reply to Tony Jones:

It's heaven, isn't it? I cannot wait. Thank you!
OP machino 04 Oct 2017
In reply to ASharpe:

Have you been down there? Looks like lots of super easy stuff which will be fun to play around on. I'll be with someone much less experienced though and don't want a freak out on lots of grim loose rock. I guess I'll just take a look and weigh it up! As Tony recommends, an afternoon of wine and watching the sky doesn't sound like a terrible alternative if it comes to it.
 Pkrynicki1984 04 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

I had a look at the lighthouse cliffs last summer , looked some good routes but covered in bird mess......
OP machino 04 Oct 2017
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

Thanks! And from a fellow Stokie too. Yes I thought that might be the case. I'll let you know if they're any good...
 Pkrynicki1984 04 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

Unfortunately I wasn't with a climbing partner when I was there , Stokies turn up everywhere !

It's a great part of the world up there , must go back and climb some day.
 dmhigg 04 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

I've climbed on them! I'm afraid I can't remember much about them: they're quite short but not at all chossy. My children (12 and 9 at the time) came with us. The steep slope down to the crag might be the most exciting part of the day but my eldest says it's one of his favourite places in Scotland, right next to the sea and seemingly cut off from all civilisation.
In reply to dmhigg:
did a good E3 there 7/8 yrs ago, new route, good rock, can’t recall the name, worth a visit if dry
Post edited at 22:02
OP machino 05 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

If anyone is interested you can actually buy the lighthouse at the moment. A snip at £371,500. https://bellingram.co.uk/property/stoer-lighthouse-raffin-lairg-highland-iv...
OP machino 05 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

Bit rich for my blood but I'll be sure to give it a look over - lovely to hear there are some worthwhile routes and good rock there though. Thank you!
OP machino 05 Oct 2017
In reply to dmhigg:

Ah, delightful. Always good to think 'if a 9 year old can do it, so can I' as I grasp desperately to blades of grass as I try not to tumble down a wet slope . Genuinely great to know this though, thank you for sharing.
 Andy Moles 05 Oct 2017
In reply to machino:

For some short fun routes nearby take have a browse around Culkein Stoer and Clashnessie as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...