UKC

Additional Power Socket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 15 Oct 2017

Can anyone refresh my memory please about the limitation on installing extra power sockets.

In our garage there is a twin 13 amp socket which is wired about three inches from the consumer unit. From the socket a cable runs to another socket at the other end of the garage into which the freezer is plugged. I'm assuming that the cable to the freezer socket by-passes the switching mechanism on the socket adjacent to the consumer unit so is effectively connected directly to a circuit on the CU.

I now need a further single socket in the garage. Can I wire a junction box into the cable to the freezer socket and install the new socket from the junction box?
Post edited at 15:37
 Denzil 15 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex: I assume this is not wired as a ring (there is only a single, probably 2.5mm cable from the consumer unit to the socket). The consumer unit will probably have a 20A breaker fitted. Simplest thing is to extend from the freezer socket to your third socket hence no need for a junction box. If that is not a convenient spot, yes you can add a junction box and spur off from that to your new socket.

Ridge 15 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

IIRC you should only have one single or double socket on an unfused spur, which is what this sounds like. In theory this prevents overloading of the cable.

From what you've said it sounds like the cable runs and sockets are wall mounted rather than chased in, and the consumer unit is easily accessible. It should be pretty cheap, (and much safer), for an electrician to run a ring for the garage rather than you adding another socket. Then you can have all the sockets you like.
 MG 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Yes. A cable from the freezer socket back to the CU with a new socket en route would do this. A spur off a spur is illegal, I think.
OP mypyrex 15 Oct 2017
I think, given the limited use I'm going to be making of the additional socket, I'll just use an extension cable from the socket next to the CU (plugging in as and when).
OP mypyrex 15 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

> A spur off a spur is illegal, I think.
Agreed now that I recall

MarkJH 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> IIRC you should only have one single or double socket on an unfused spur, which is what this sounds like.

From his description, it sounds like a radial circuit so it would be an extension of the circuit rather than a spur off a spur. I would suggest the OP confirms the type of circuit he has, but assuming it isn't a ring and he uses the appropriate wire size, then it should be a simple job to extend.

arch 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Denzil:
> I assume this is not wired as a ring (there is only a single, probably 2.5mm cable from the consumer unit to the socket). The consumer unit will probably have a 20A breaker fitted. Simplest thing is to extend from the freezer socket to your third socket hence no need for a junction box. If that is not a convenient spot, yes you can add a junction box and spur off from that to your new socket.

^^ This.

Unless the socket near the CU is in it's self a spur wired off the MCB terminal (Which I suspect it will be) But even then, as long as you were sensible and not use a welder or similar, you'd be fine with a freezer plugged in.
Post edited at 17:43
 Wsdconst 16 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

Or is it a branch from a radial ?
 gethin_allen 17 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

All depends on what safety device you have in the consumer unit. If it's a 20 amp breaker on 2.5mm cable then you effectively have a radial circuit and you can a few more plugs. If it's a spur off a ring on a 32amp breaker then you should only have a single double plug on a spur unless the spur is fused.
 illepo 17 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but unless you're qualified you should not be adding electrical equipment to the property. You can replace things, ie a socket, or light fitting, but you cannot add extra sockets, lights, etc. without it being signed off by a qualified electrician.

This isn't a comment on your competency, I'm sure you can do it, but about following the regulations. Your home insurance and mortgage may depend on that. Unless you own your own home already and don't rent out part or all of it, in which case, crack on.
 jkarran 17 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Personally I'd just add a spur off one of the sockets. It might not be by the book (probably isn't) but in reality it's no worse than the extension lead alternative and given the freezer's light load on the existing circuit it will not cause problems.
jk
 Ridge 17 Oct 2017
In reply to illepo:

Good job I bought a load of black and red 2.5 twin & earth...
Lusk 17 Oct 2017
In reply to illepo:

> I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but unless you're qualified you should not be adding electrical equipment to the property. You can replace things, ie a socket, or light fitting, but you cannot add extra sockets, lights, etc. without it being signed off by a qualified electrician.

Additions to existing circuits (outside special locations) are non-notifiable.
 illepo 17 Oct 2017
OP mypyrex 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Additions to existing circuits (outside special locations) are non-notifiable.

Agreed, just read up on that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...