UKC

Extending Abseil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FinlayThomson 18 Oct 2017
I use an Aspiring Cows tail, linked below, for clipping to sport anchors when threading the rope etc.

https://www.aspiring.co.nz/product/single-cowstail/

Is there any reason that this couldn't used to extend my belay device for abseiling?
 Luke90 18 Oct 2017
In reply to FinlayThomson:

I can't think of any reason not to.
 GrahamD 18 Oct 2017

If the length is ok. For an extended abseil really you want to be able to comfortably reach your abseil device but your cows tail may be a little longer
 GrahamUney 19 Oct 2017

As has been said above, if the length is OK, this should be fine. However, a longer cow's tail, is a bit more versatile, both in terms of length available, and also keeping yourself safe on the stance until you're ready to abseil.
 danm 19 Oct 2017

I prefer a dynamic rope lanyard for that, as it gives you more safety if you need to move around on the stance - when you are pulling down the ropes for example.
 Martin Bennett 19 Oct 2017

Looks as though it might be a bit long thereby distancing the ab device by a bit too much. I use a Sterling chain reactor as a cow's tail for quick, variable length attachment to belays on trad routes as well as in the sport scenario you describe, as well as for abseiling. The first loop puts the abseil device in my preferred position. https://sterlingrope.com/store/work/webbing/sewn-webbing/chain-reactor
 David Coley 20 Oct 2017

As long as it is not so long the belay device is above your head. You need to reach it to grind it over overhangs
 Luke90 20 Oct 2017
In reply to David Coley:

In defense of my original comment that it seemed OK, the longest length they sell is only 90cm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...