UKC

Mountain Training announce new qualification structure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SebCa 18 Oct 2017
A bridge between MIA and SPA, has it been a long time coming or a short cut and a watered down version?

As someone who climbs to a moderate standard and is aspiring to become an MIA I must admit for me this is probably an ideal thing to give me opportunity to teach skills i normally would not be able to.

(I also am aware we don't require any qualifications to go in the mountains or teach etc.. one for the haters )

http://www.mountain-training.org/latest-news/climbing-awards-review-update-...
 Mark Kemball 18 Oct 2017
In reply to SebCa:

Looks a good idea to me, at first glance (though the devil may well be in the detail). At present, most climbing walls have good competent instructors and coaches but we regularly hear people on UKC complaining that climbing wall punters don't climb on real rock. Hopeful this new qualification will encourage and enable the climbing wall instructors to introduce more people to "real climbing"!
 Luke90 18 Oct 2017
In reply to SebCa:

It's certainly possible to conceive of a great climbing instructor who isn't an expert in hillwalking, navigation or wild camping. An award that recognises that seems like a step forward.

I'm less certain about the assistant concept. If they're only helping under supervision, does there need to be a formal qualification for that?
 Neil Williams 18 Oct 2017
In reply to SebCa:
I am, and long have been, in support of a "SPLA", particularly for sport climbing but also for trad. I also quite like the "movement skills" bit though the structure seems a little confusing, I wait with bated breath to see what they actually do.

Qualifications for assistants just sounds like a money-making scheme, though, and a bit of a waste of space. If the main instructor is responsible, as they are in that context in Scouting's own internal qualifications (which I have), it doesn't matter who the assistant is - the primary instructor is responsible for ensuring they know what they are doing and do not make a mistake. (The line I have always taken with myself and our other instructors at our Scout wall is that if you're in charge of a session, you are responsible for everything that happens regardless of who did it).
Post edited at 23:45
OP SebCa 23 Oct 2017
In reply to SebCa:

The name changes have today been released for up to SPA

http://www.mountain-training.org/latest-news/what’s-in-a-name

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...