UKC

Creagh Dhu Wall - Abseil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glaramara 20 Oct 2017
I hear the crag above Tremadog is a mare to walk off. Is the rappel point obvious from near the top of Creagh Dhu Wall?

db
 duchessofmalfi 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

While most people walk off, trolls usual ab.
 GrahamD 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

> I hear the crag above Tremadog is a mare to walk off. Is the rappel point obvious from near the top of Creagh Dhu Wall?

Much less of a 'mare than walking to that part of the crag in the first place, I'd have thought.
 GrahamUney 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

That particular crag is not blessed with an easy walk-off. There were abseil slings in place around a tree off to the left at the top of Creagh Dhu Wall when I last climbed it, but they might not still be there. Better to take some abseil tat with you. Obviously, given the recent post on here about storm damage at Tremadog, the tree itself might not be there any more either.

jezb1 20 Oct 2017
In reply to GrahamUney:
I was thinking the same thing about the tree!

The walk off is a bit of a mission there, only done it once, it's a no brainer to ab off.

Been there a few times this year and there's been tat on the tree every time. Think I replaced some but can't remember. For CDW go a few metres left at the top to a tree and an eroded small gully.

Quality route, enjoy it, and get on One Step in the Crowds too if you're climbing that grade. Mensor is well worthwhile too as are the other routes there. Top crag!
Post edited at 15:16
 Greenbanks 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

Nah. Abseiling is for wimps. Get bushwhacking, adder-dodging and ripped to shreds - the true Tremadoc experience
In reply to glaramara:

You hear wrong. It's a big old path. Just walk down it, no bushwacking required. Bring trainers if it's been raining though x
 wilkie14c 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

please please, if you take your own tat (you should) cut all the old scabby stuff off and take it down with you and revel in your earned karma points.
Nowt worse to see than 6 or 7 different tats around the same point.
 Skyfall 20 Oct 2017
In reply to glaramara:

I don't recall it being too bad last couple of times there.

The walk up to / down Two Face Buttress is a mare though !
In reply to Skyfall:

Ditto. I don't remember anything about it, so it can't be a big deal.
 patrick_b 20 Oct 2017
In reply to victim of mathematics:

The two times I've tried to walk off that part of the crag I've ended up downclimbing trees in the dark, far from anything resembling a path.. Could just have been me though!
 Martin Hore 20 Oct 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> please please, if you take your own tat (you should) cut all the old scabby stuff off and take it down with you and revel in your earned karma points.

> Nowt worse to see than 6 or 7 different tats around the same point.

While this is certainly good advice if there is an abseil ring or maillon in place (or you bring your own) there are still some abseil points where your ropes run straight through the tat. In this case I would have thought it was better to leave at least one of the "scabby" slings in place and make your new piece a little longer. That way your ropes abraid the scabby piece when you pull down and leave your new bit undamaged.

Perhaps you always carry a maillon. I do now, but I didn't until quite recently.

Martin
 Offwidth 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

Better still take cord. Why people still deliberately take slings for this is beyond me (emergencies excepted when you have no cord tat). Cord lasts much longer than webbing as the core is proteced from UV damage. If the knots are good and the sheaf is fully intact on inspection you pretty much know its safe ( formic attack from ants being one of the rare exceptions); so its safer and much less visually obtrusive.
 Martin Hore 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> Better still take cord. Why people still deliberately take slings for this is beyond me (emergencies excepted when you have no cord tat). Cord lasts much longer than webbing as the core is proteced from UV damage. If the knots are good and the sheaf is fully intact on inspection you pretty much know its safe ( formic attack from ants being one of the rare exceptions); so its safer and much less visually obtrusive.

It hadn't occurred to me that what I wrote might suggest I meant tape slings (or even a length or tape knotted). I usually carry a piece of cord to the crag for this, currently about 4m cut from a half-rope that got damaged (or a smaller bit if I know I'm likely to be carrying it up a multi-pitch route). If the route's single pitch and I spot the ab tat is poor when I get to the stance then I can call down for the second to bring up the tat.

I've only had to do that a couple of times in recent years though. Usually someone else has generously replaced the tat quite recently and everything's fine.

Martin
OP glaramara 22 Oct 2017
In reply to GrahamUney:

I drove down in the storm and it wasn't that bad. Bit of flooding, that was it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...