UKC

Washing machine repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 22 Oct 2017
Hi, is there a washing machine repair person in the house?
I have a 15 year old AEG machine and the drum appears to have suddenly got bent. There is about 10mm radial runout at the front. The drum feels solid and turns smoothly with no play, so it doesn't look like a bearing failure. I've taken the outer drum apart and the inner drum has gouged a big groove into the outer, with loads of plastic swarf everywhere.
Any idea what could have happened? I though of a coin in the drum, but I couldn't find one in there.
The main question: is it worth repairing it? It was about £600 new, so a decent machine.

In reply to Hooo:

I had to replace the spider of my machine. It still turned, and seemed firm, but all three arms of the spider had corroded through.

Have you taken the drum out of the housing, or just taken the front off the drum housing? You'll need to take the drum out to check the spider. Needs a pretty big spanner to remove the fixing nut (well, mine did).
OP Hooo 22 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yep, you're right. I just took the drum out and the spider is broken.
The trouble is I can only find the front tub as a complete unit for £160, so it's looking like the best part of £250 for a repair
Looks like I'm shopping for a new machine.

Thanks
 wbo 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Hooo: I would suggest rescuing one from another kaput machine, but finding a 15 year old AEG/Bosch might be tricky

OP Hooo 22 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

I had a quick look on eBay, but it didn't look like there was much available for this machine.
I'd repair it if I could get the spares easily, but I think dismantling old machines to get a few more years out of this one is not going to be a good use of my time... It's not like I'd struggle to afford a new one right now.
In reply to Hooo:

If the housing isn't punctured, can't you just replace the spider? My spider was removable, cheap, and easy to do. And that was on a 1997 Hotpoint.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aeg+drum+spider

I was stupid enough to keep running mine until the front housing wore through, so the repair was more expensive than it should have been.

It did get me wondering if there was a business opening for stripping white goods, like there is for car spares...

ps. It did take quite a bit of googling to find suppliers, and the right search terms. Some familiar names come up: Ransoms, eSpares, etc

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1074465/shell-front-tub-g20g21-wd-bd?pa...
Post edited at 19:33
OP Hooo 22 Oct 2017

Thanks, but that link is for a different model. I tried all those usual suppliers, I have repaired this machine before.
I could probably get away with keeping the tub as it isn't worn right through, but it is a right mess and I wouldn't like it. The machine ground to a halt with a horrible noise, so it wasn't just rubbing a bit. Apart from the spider I would need a door seal, and new bearings would be sensible. I haven't tested the motor, so that could be damaged too.
The final nail in the coffin for the old machine is that the Mrs has got excited about getting a new one.

In reply to Hooo:

> Thanks, but that link is for a different model

I didn't think I'd have been lucky enough to hit upon your unidentified model... It was more intended as an example.

> the Mrs has got excited about getting a new one

Why didn't you say that earlier...?

My choosing to repair mine wasn't entirely rational; a lot down to feeling that I ought to be able to repair it, and proving it. The cost wasn't really an issue, but the durability and maintainability of the old machine did feature in the thinking. Every time it finishes a wash now, I give it a little pat, and say "well done, little machine"...
OP Hooo 22 Oct 2017

> Why didn't you say that earlier...?

When I posted the OP the prospect of new one wasn't on the table, I thought I was going to fix it!

> My choosing to repair mine wasn't entirely rational; a lot down to feeling that I ought to be able to repair it, and proving it. The cost wasn't really an issue, but the durability and maintainability of the old machine did feature in the thinking. Every time it finishes a wash now, I give it a little pat, and say "well done, little machine"...

I understand completely. I love fixing stuff, even when it doesn't make financial sense. I've been forced to admit that this particular project is just not worth it though, considering the grief I'll get for every day that we don't have a washing machine.
 krikoman 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Hooo:

> When I posted the OP the prospect of new one wasn't on the table, I thought I was going to fix it!

> I understand completely. I love fixing stuff, even when it doesn't make financial sense. I've been forced to admit that this particular project is just not worth it though, considering the grief I'll get for every day that we don't have a washing machine.

I feel you pain, I repaired our old one so many times, I only had to get the spanners out and it was in the middle of the kitchen like an eager puppy. I'm lying of course it was a bastard to get out of it's little cubby hole.

I finally surrenders and we ended up with a Beko, It's brilliant, we can still talk to each other while it's doing it's 1400 rpm spin, and the things don't fall off the shelves any more.

Find something else to mend, and get a new one
 LastBoyScout 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Hooo:
Had similar with our John Lewis one which is AEG underneath.

Drum transplant is straightforward, just awkward - extra pair of hands very useful when you disconnect the top springs, but can be done without. Think needed a T50 bit to unscrew the pulley and a big screwdriver to deal with the concrete counterweight screws.

Email me if you want an idea - I have photos of ours in "exploded view" (read "bits") on the kitchen floor.

Worth also fitting a new seal while you're at it - the drum will have shredded it and it'll be filthy anyway.

Edit: bearings will be integral in the sealed unit tub.
Post edited at 23:39
OP Hooo 23 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Find something else to mend

No problem finding another domestic job to get stuck into, I can tell you.
Daughter is still asking about her four poster bed that I foolishly said I'd make her a couple of years ago.
 krikoman 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Hooo:

> No problem finding another domestic job to get stuck into, I can tell you.

> Daughter is still asking about her four poster bed that I foolishly said I'd make her a couple of years ago.

I'm into repairing a Dell laptop computer, a friend which I foolishly said I'd "have a look at".

Every computer I've ever worked on, it's been relatively easy to get to the hard disk, this Dell has 21 screws, you have to remove the keyboard and practically dismantle it to get to the drive!!

The of course you can't just test a new one, you have to practically rebuild it to find out if it will work!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...