UKC

WiFi Woes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 22 Oct 2017

Over recent weeks/months we appear to have been having more and more problems with our home technology.

We changed over to BT tv a while ago and BT installed a Youview? box and WiFi hub and everything was fine. Then, a couple of months ago we had problems trying to get things on iPlayer etc. Long story short, an engineer came and said that the WiFi hub was too far from the TV so he moved it downstairs into the same room as the TV and plugged into the main BT socket. It had previously been upstairs adjacent to the PC. The result was that the iPlayer problems resolved.

However, we now notice frequent WiFi failures on the PC, phones(two) and a tablet. We're both at the point in life where we can't absorb much more technological know how so is anyone able to tell a couple of dummies what might be going on

Thanks
Post edited at 21:55
 Dark-Cloud 22 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
It’s just poor WiFi signal by the sounds of it, just buy some power plug WiFi extenders

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smar...
Post edited at 22:02
OP mypyrex 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> It’s just poor WiFi signal by the sounds of it, just buy some power plug WiFi extenders

BT plugged two things like that(except black) into where the computer and tv are plugged in. I'm assuming they're the same.
OP mypyrex 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> It’s just poor WiFi signal by the sounds of it, just buy some power plug WiFi extenders

(How come these problems have only started recently?)
 balmybaldwin 22 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Do you find it happens more when more devices are using the net? could be IP conflicts
In reply to mypyrex: yes, good point. It's not poor wifi signal, BT are just totally hopeless at resolving problems. Our BT hub reaches 20m and into our caravan with a really good signal.

buzby 22 Oct 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Are you sure the power line adaptors that the engineer plugged in are also for wi fi as some powerline adaptors are simply to run your broadband from one point to another via your ring main in the house.
the fact you can get wifi out to your caravan but not upstairs could be as a result of thick walls in your house? favourite killer of wi fi signal and therefore speed.
wi fi can travel further and clearer through a line that has less resistance like thick walls.
If the powerline adaptors are just for Ethernet then try and buy a separate wi fi extender and fit it at a convenient point in the house.
One way to be sure is that if your devices perform well next to the router but poorly in other rooms then its the wi fi that's the issue.
 The Lemming 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

You could replace the BT Homehub with a new router?

I'm a Virgin user, and I had problems with my free virgin router a few years ago. I solved the problem by buying a router from a reputable maker.

I still use the Virgin router. I have to because of the Virgin broadband speeds but the router only acts as a modem. The Virgin router is plugged into my wifi router of choice and I have no problems what so ever with signal loss.

If the free router is the problem, then replace it with a brand that works.
 Toby_W 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The other possibility is someone next door has new wifi or got a new router and it's on the same channel as yours. There are various free programs called things like wifi sniffer or similar that will tell you all the things transmitting and what channel they are on. You then just need to changes the channel on your router to an empty or quieter one.

Cheers

Toby

In reply to buzby:

You're not replying to the OP btw. That said, we do have thin walls.
 buzby 23 Oct 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

oops, sorry.
 Andy Johnson 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

> You then just need to changes the channel on your router to an empty or quieter one.

Good advice. I just wanted to add that wifi channels do overlap, so its best to have at least one empty channel between channels that in use.

On Android I use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gr.androiddev.WifiScanner&...
 The Lemming 23 Oct 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Here is a wifi tool that I use to spot problems

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&...

it tells you all sorts of stuff, including how busy the wifi is in your area and how busy the wifi channel you are using is.

My money sis still on the BT router being the problem and a new router by any of the main brands should solve the problem.

You could buy one from Amazon, and if it does not fix the problem then return it within the week. That way you will know if the router is the problem or not. If its not the router, then you get your money back when you send the router back.

In reply to Toby_W:

Most routers will have a channel occupation display, just like the WiFi analyser apps. Ideally, they'd auto-assign a channel to keep away from congestion.
 radddogg 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Our homehub5 keeps losing its wifi signal. We have to reboot it to kickstart it again. I have an old TP-link router in the attic, I might try using that instead of the homehub to see if it cures our issues.
 nniff 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

OUrs was rubbish and we got one of those devolo 'connect through the mains' signal rebroadcast thingies, which now gives us a choice of two downstairs and one upstairs.

Now, if anyone can tell me why our Sony TV has decided to replace BBC iplayer etc with German alternatives, I'm all ears

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...