UKC

Taking a Beginner - Northumberland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathandavey 24 Oct 2017
Hi,

I'm visiting family in Rothbury in Northumberland this weekend, and have been asked about taking out my other half's brother for a few fun routes. Things are complicated by him being severely autistic, although we once took him to a juggy indoor wall which he loved. He is also quite big, let's say over 15 stone, and a lot of the easiest routes seem to be chimneys which might not be a good combination.

I've never climbed in Northumberland before, Corby's and Simonside look like ok (but not great) options. If anyone has any recommendations for very easy routes then that would be greatly appreciated. A shorter walk in is preferable but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.
 Russell Lovett 24 Oct 2017
In reply to jonathandavey:

If you have the use of a car Berryhill and Kyloe out both fit the bill . Berryhill has a realy short walk in and Kyloe crag is not much longer. Both crags are quite near each other so you could even do both in one day. Berryhill would be my choice for a newbie plenty of easy slaby routes and plenty of bouldering at a reasonable grade.
OP jonathandavey 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Thanks for the info, I'll look at both of those.
 full stottie 24 Oct 2017
In reply to jonathandavey:

Russell's advice is excellent - they are the best two crags for beginners. Berryhill has easy routes with nice juggy holds, and is rarely busy. Slab Crack and the Flutings or variations of it on the west facing slab are good for beginners, but better if they second the routes rather than bottom rope. The tops of our sandstone crags need protecting! Please remember to ask at the farmhouse on your way to the crag - they are very happy to say yes, but we need to keep access relationships good.

Kyloe Out too has some easier routes to try, especially at the right hand end of the crag where Eeny, Meeny, Miny and Mo offer 4 short climbs at about VDiff, and Flake Crack is a nice climb with only one slightly tricky move near the bottom. Good tree belays at the top of the crag. No access problems as long as you park sensibly at the roadside.
Have fun
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...