UKC

Shipping container climbing “wall”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scoobied64 26 Oct 2017
Hi there

The house I live in came with a shipping container in the garden used as a garden shed. I’d prefer to use wood cladding on outside as I really don’t want to drill into the box itself. I was wondering if anyone has made there own wall on the outside of one and how they’d attached the panels? The other issue is the container has about 1.5m clearance between it and a hedge to one side and back. Then the other side gets really interesting as it’s 2m (ish) from the bank of a river. So overhanging might get interesting- deep mud solo anyone?
So if anyone has any plans or ideas I’d be grateful
 kevin stephens 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

It may be more useful if you could tip it on its end?
OP Scoobied64 26 Oct 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:
Unfortunately that reduces its use as a shed...
 Martin Hore 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

> Unfortunately that reduces its use as a shed...

Haven't laughed as much at a UKC post for a while. I'm your first like.
Martin
 jkarran 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

Could you move the container against the hedge to make more space? It'll weigh between 2.5 and 4T empty so some ingenuity would be needed in lieu of a crane.

Whatever you do it'll need a roof to keep the external wall dry unless you only plan to use it in summer. Personally I'd screw batons to it, clad the outside for a cosmetic improvement then build a versatile little tilting wall inside it and across the roof.
jk
 Hat Dude 26 Oct 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> It may be more useful if you could tip it on its end?

Could make getting into it a bit problematical
 Nordie_matt 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

Why not see if you can sell the container, and if you get a decent price buy a cheap shed and build the wall you want?
 tspoon1981 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Nordie_matt:

New containers a pretty cheap to pick up, last time I bought a container the price difference between a single trip unit and a battered old one was about £200.

What length container is it?
 deepsoup 26 Oct 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:
They're also a *lot* more secure than a cheap shed. No way I'd swap the one for the other if there was anything worth nicking in it.
 Ian Parsons 26 Oct 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

If he got a decent shed that might be worth nicking. He could keep it in the container...
 flour 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

Build a timber structure across the roof out of 4x2 or 6x2 with overhangs like this ....TT.... so that the timber clamps the container,then add your angled wall panels /. Fix at base.
 Nordie_matt 26 Oct 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

Fair enough, I am not all that familiar with the used shipping container market I somehow imagined they would be reasonably valuable/expensive.

Out of curiousity how much do they usually go for? A cursory google turned up wild variables in price on fleabay.
 tspoon1981 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Nordie_matt:

Depends on the size, I've just got a 10ft container for just over £1000 and bought a single trip 20ft container for £1800 last year, I was offered a rusty old container for £1600 which would have required more money spent on additional welding so it wasn't worth it. I've seen containers on FB go for free if you're willing to collect, but they're usually rusted out and difficult to move.
OP Scoobied64 26 Oct 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:
I’ve uploaded a picture to my profile of the container and position - it’s unlikely it’s going to be moved without a tractor or crane
 Nordie_matt 26 Oct 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

Cheers for the reply, my curiosity has been sated
 tspoon1981 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

The picture doesn't seem to have been approved yet. If you can figure out a way to get suitable space around one side of the container you could easily weld eye bolts to the corner fixings of the unit and have a hanging chain wall

https://tinyurl.com/yd7efxo6
 Dell 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

There's no reason why you can't make the wall higher than the container, using long bits of timber, metal box section or scaffold poles going up into the air and fixing your ply boards to this.
The container would make a heavy enough counterweight, it's just high winds you need to watch out for, and possibly complaints from the neighbours re: the height. Having a wall that folds up and down, or pivots on the roof edge might be a solution.

Solid carpentry or welding skills would be required, or get creative with kee klamps.
 Dax H 27 Oct 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

Depends where you are too.
I got a 40ft for storing pipe in at work.
It's in good condition and it was only £1200 delivered.
 Fakey Rocks 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:
If you prop it up on posts, maybe beefy hydraulic ones, you could build a decent overhang. At 70° or 80° u could have a decent overhang on it's base, or inside roof, + quite a good slab on top, and the side walls routes variety would change too. You could possibly get 2 or 3 moon boards on top of each other, if it's a 40' unit, and have some great problems to work on.
U could do the inside up too for wet weather options, i've been thinking about it with mine. Is yours a 20 or 40 footer?
Post edited at 19:11
 webbo 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:
Build a bouldering wall in side. Rock city in Hull has a cellar board in an old container. Pete Oxley of Portland used to make and sell these.
 stuartholmes 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Scoobied64:

Done a couple of these now.
Get some tantalized timer and frame around the full container obviously not the door.
Then screw panels to these.
Leave a gap at the bottom and use marine ply or at very least resin coat or weather proof the plywood panels.
If you use 4 by 8 ft panels, put the timber so that as the panels join the uprights are a joining on both.
Leave slight gaps between panels to allow for expansion and use decent screws that wont rust.
When fitting t-nuts use screw ins not hammer ins as if one pops you have to take full panel off to replace it.
Finally weather proof the gaps at top of wall/container. Don't completely seal as the container will expand/ contract anyway so will create gaps.
And lastly if your as OCD as me get holds that are UV resistant as they will all fade at different amounts and don't use black paint as it gets to hot over summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...