UKC

Standard of Tour du Mont Blanc trail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jamesoneil 30 Oct 2017
Good morning,
Following a rather harrowing mountain walk whilst in France this weekend, where the path narrowed to inches, my girlfriend now is having doubts about walking the Tour du Mont Blanc next year.

Can anyone advise me on how precipitous the trail is?

As far as I can tell, the Aiguillette d'Argentiere would be the section that is outside her 'enjoyment threshold', but other than that I'm struggling to find information.

Many thanks in advance,
James
 toad 30 Oct 2017
In reply to jamesoneil: unless it's changed dramatically in the 15 yrs or so since I did it, its fine. There are a couple of tricky optional bits, but all avoidable. A couple of easy ladders in the aiguille rouge, but that bit feels very safe. Did it with my wife who has similar standards of wibble when it comes to exposure

In reply to jamesoneil:

I found it in better condition underfoot than most of the popular paths in the UK. Either the numbers using it are fewer, or they do a better job on erosion management.

There was only one short section on the first day from Les Houches where the path was narrow and exposed (with a wide gulley on one side), and where a cable had been fitted alongside, presumably for winter use. This section didn't bother me at all, but a couple of my less experienced companions were a bit disturbed, and held on to the cable. IIRC, it was in the section just N of the Torrent de Bionnassay, heading S from the Bellevue lift.

Thereafter, I can't think of anything that was particularly exposed. It was obviously fairly high, but not exposed.
Removed User 30 Oct 2017
In reply to jamesoneil:

Hi James, I guide the TMB several times a year with various groups and I have only ever had any potential issues on the set of ladders going up from the Aiguillette de Argentiere but this section can be avoided by going to/from the Col de Montet. In general, as has been mentioned above, the paths are generally quite wide and well surfaced and are better than paths you may find in the UK hills. There are a couple of places that are a little exposed but the paths are still a couple of feet wide not inches.
It is important to be aware that early season, especially after a bad winter, many of the tracks on the north facing slopes will still be snow covered and the tracks across these snow slopes can feel precarious.
Just go for it and enjoy. I am sure that mypyrex will be along soon as he has also done it this summer.
Cheers
Mike
jamesoneil 30 Oct 2017
In reply to jamesoneil:

Hi guys, thanks for replying. That is great information that confirms what I felt, but couldn't 'prove.'

Hopefully this will assuage some fear.

James

mypyrex 30 Oct 2017
In reply to jamesoneil:

I did most of it in September. I did avoid the ladders but I didn't think there was anything warranting any suggestion of exposure. If I can do it I'm sure your young lady will be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...