UKC

Netflix Series Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 14 Nov 2017
After some recommendations of new stuff to watch on Netflix as there's such a plethora of stuff on there it's hard to know where to start.

I'll Start with some recommendations of my own in approximate order of ‘goodness’, the top 3 are outstanding:

- Westworld - Not a Nexflix series I know, but one of the best TV series I've ever watched, worth getting a Now TV free trial just for this. Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright star.

- Peaky Blinders - 'Gangster' series set in post WW1 Birmingham staring Cillian Murphy, Sam Neil and Tom Hardy - Superb acting, great story writing & sound track.

- Fargo - Local police investigate a series of bizarre murders in a sleepy Minnesotan town. Staring Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton and one of the best 'bad guys' I've ever seen.

- Better Call Saul - Spin off from Braking Bad. Most people know about this one by now.

- Stranger Things – Think Everyone knows about this one by now

- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Weird and quirky but very clever, stick with it and everything will make sense by the end. Staring Elija Wood

- Archer - Adult comedic animated series about the worlds best secret agent 'Stirling Archer'

- Dollhouse – Technology has been developed to reprogrammed the human brain and rents out human ‘dolls’ programmed to be whatever the client needs (the perfect lover or the perfect assassin). However the dolls start to develop memories of their previous identities. This has one of the best season finale’s ever. (Think this may have been removed now, but hopefully it will come back one day)

- The Expanse - Good Sci-fi Series (Better than Discovery) set in a time where Earth has expanded to colonise the solar system, Mars has declared independence and tensions are high between the two governments. 'Belters' working mining the asteroid belts are treated as 3rd class citizens struggling for survival and a group of the uncover a conspiracy that threatens the solar system.

The Marvel Series’ are all worth watching, Daredevil being the best of the lot. Iron fist is by far the weakest but is worth watching to fill in some of the back story of the Defenders. The defenders comes last chronologically so watch the other 4 first.
- Daredevil
- Jessica Jones
-Like Cage
- Ion fist
- The Defenders

- Arrested Development - US comedy Series

- It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia – Dark comedy about 4 ‘asshole’ friends Dany DeVito who run a dysfunctional pub. Dany joins part way through (maybe season 2?) and really makes the series so perhaps start at this point)

- Brookly 99 – US Cop Comedy Series Staring Andy Samberg (off of the Lonely Island)

- Suits – A guy with a photographic memory bluffs his way into a top law firm.

- Gotham - Follows rookie cop Jim Gordon in the early days of Gotham City, provides a nice backstory to a lot of the well-known characters.

- Marco Polo – Follows the adventures of Marco Polo in the Mongol Empire

- Designated Survivor - When the Capitol Building is bombed, the last surviving member of congress Kiefer Sutherland is unexpectedly thrust into the presidency in the midst of a national crisis. The first season is very good, but it seems to have gone downhill in season 2.

- Shooter – Based off of the Mark Whalberg film of the same Name, a professional marine sniper gets framed for an attempted assassination of the president and is on the run whilst trying to clear his name. Tense edge of the seat action, again goes downhill after season 1, but season 1 is definitely worth watching,

George Fisher 14 Nov 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Mindhunter
 wintertree 14 Nov 2017

Rick and Morty. Some naff episodes but some absolute classics.

Dirk Gently requires full attention at all times; I found it excellent.
Post edited at 11:09
In reply to SuperLee1985: Here's three you didn't mention which are good

Ozark
Narcos
Fauda

(Series 4 of Peaky Blinders starts on BBC 2 tomorrow FYI)
 nufkin 14 Nov 2017

'Narcos' on Netflix is good. It felt like the tone changed a little in the third season, but that might just be because the story moved on from Pablo Escobar.
 LG-Mark 14 Nov 2017

Hinterland - Welsh Noir detective stories. All episodes superb. One of the better things i've ever seen.

An extra interesting dimension is that the cast are all bi-lingual and every scene with dialogue was shot twice, once in Welsh and and once in English so there are two versions. English one is on Netflix (obviously).
 jethro kiernan 14 Nov 2017

True detective series one, I dont think its on netflix but awesome!
 afx22 14 Nov 2017

Atypical is well worth a watch.
 nathan79 14 Nov 2017

Glad to see Archer among your recommendations. I love it.

I've toyed with the idea of Netflix for some time but I preferred the interface on Amazon Prime TV (and I had it anyway). They've now copied Netflix style so I may jump ship.
 Toby_W 14 Nov 2017
In reply to nathan79:
Dangerzone

Cheers

Toby

P.s Sorry, Archer reference not a series
Post edited at 15:09
 Mr Lopez 14 Nov 2017

Justified is excellent. Some of the best acting, scripts, dialogues, and characterization out there and all seasons holding their weight. I watched the last season before starting watching again from the first and oddly enough that made it even better.
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> True detective series one, I dont think its on netflix but awesome!

It's the best thing ever.
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> True detective series one, I dont think its on netflix but awesome!

Alexandra Daddario.....omg worth the annual subscription price just for that one scene.
 Clarence 14 Nov 2017

I have been really enjoying Helix although the elevator music theme tune is too creepy. The first few series of American Horror Story are great as well, especially Asylum - James Cromwell and Lily Rabe are on top form in that one.
 Big Steve 14 Nov 2017
My current favourites are The Expanse and Star Trek Discovery

Shani 14 Nov 2017
In reply to wintertree:

> Rick and Morty. Some naff episodes but some absolute classics.

Worth it for the miniverse, microverse and tinyverse gag alone!

My recommendation; Detectorists.
 BnB 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:

> My recommendation; Detectorists.

Just started this. 2 episodes in.

Best show I've seen on Netflix in the last 12 months is the OA. Not everyone's cup of tea, mind. Depends how reliable you like your narrator to be.
 Shani 14 Nov 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Just started this. 2 episodes in.

> Best show I've seen on Netflix in the last 12 months is the OA. Not everyone's cup of tea, mind. Depends how reliable you like your narrator to be.

Will check OA out.
 TobyA 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I loved Justified although it a couple of years since I watched the final season. I was thinking the other day that Timothy Oliphant must have been in something else excellent since Justified finished.

Has anyone else watched American Vandal? - I think that is Netflix. It is very silly but very very funny.
OP SuperLee1985 15 Nov 2017
In reply to BnB:

I watched the OA and wanted those 8 hours of my life back by the end of it! Thought it was awful with a really unsatisfactory ending.
 BnB 15 Nov 2017

> I watched the OA and wanted those 8 hours of my life back by the end of it! Thought it was awful with a really unsatisfactory ending.

The ending was the least satisfactory part of the show. I never wanted it to finish!! It's art-house so anyone looking for a traditional plot and resolution is likely to be disappointed. But we thought it was outstanding and my arty-farty social circle agreed.

Why did you watch for 8 hours if you hated it? If you were waiting for the ending then you missed the point. It's a story about story-telling, not about plot, about the unreliability of the narrator, not what happened next.

Clarence 15 Nov 2017
In reply to BnB:

I watched it through expecting it to turn into Stranger Things but it ended up turning into Glee instead. I wanted it to be a bit more supernatural than that. Don't regret watching it though.
 Philip 15 Nov 2017

Elementary - Sherlock Holmes up to date and in the US.

Star Trek Discovery - best Trek since deep space 9.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...