UKC

Real tyre sizes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 17 Nov 2017
As my current tyres are virtually worn through I'm considering moving to something more comfortable for the commuter bike but I'm not sure what I can fit in the frame/mudguards and all the tyre sizes that companies quote are at best guesses in my experience.

Is anyone running continental (or maybe other makes) 28 mm tyres? could you measure the width and depth for me?

Thanks,

Gethin.
 malk 18 Nov 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

you can find widths of popular tyres here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
the conti gp4000s 28 was measured at 31mm on 17mm rim..
OP gethin_allen 18 Nov 2017
In reply to malk:

Very useful, thank you very much.
 rubertm 01 Dec 2017

I run 700c x 38 tires for city commuting.
 rubertm 13 Dec 2017
I just installed 28c Gatorskin's on my Trek hybrid. These tires are a bit lighter than the 38c though I noticed a less cushier ride.
Post edited at 06:13
OP gethin_allen 13 Dec 2017
In reply to rubertm:

> I just installed 28c Gatorskin's on my Trek hybrid. These tires are a bit lighter than the 38c though I noticed a less cushier ride.

I'm currently running 25s but would like to run 28s it I want to use the bike for touring as I could increase the pressures but keep the comfort. The question is would they fit in my frame? Any chance you could measure your new gatorskins for me? (height from rim edge and width). The measurements, 31 mm for 28 mm GP4000II tyres, given in malk's link seems really rather large and I'd like a second opinion.

Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...