UKC

Firefox problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 22 Nov 2017
I've been using Firefox for the internet for a few years now but about a week ago it updated itself to a 'new look' version with some added features, I didn't select this, it just did it when I opened it.
I now find that it usually runs slower that it used to with delayed responses to commands and then starts freezing, initially for a few seconds but then for longer periods until eventually it freezes completely and I have to shut it down manually by going into task manager as it won't close just by clicking on the X.

Is this a known problem and any ideas how to fix it (not too technical please)?
At the moment I've reverted to MS Explorer but prefer Firefox.
Thanks.
 mattrm 22 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

Firefox has been auto-updating for quite a few years before, you've just never noticed, as they've not normally made such large changes. It's up to v57 now. It's quite a large re-write behind the scenes, which is supposed to improve the speed of the browser.

I'd try re-installing it. Or re-creating your profile. Personally I've found it to be much better, but there we go.
In reply to pec:

What's wrong with Google Chrome? Opera is also very good.
 Welsh Kate 22 Nov 2017
In reply to mattrm:

Yeah, me too; the new version loaded up a couple of nights ago and my browsing's lightning fast now.
OP pec 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> What's wrong with Google Chrome? Opera is also very good. >

Never really liked Chrome but the problem is lots of my preferences, passwords etc are automatically stored in Firefox after using it for so long and I've got a lot saved webpages saved in files in 'my documents' which now won't open properly.

Dave the Rave 22 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

Speak Russian to it. It will draw a cock and bollox mid air for you.
OP pec 22 Nov 2017
In reply to mattrm:

> Firefox has been auto-updating for quite a few years before, you've just never noticed, as they've not normally made such large changes. It's up to v57 now. It's quite a large re-write behind the scenes, which is supposed to improve the speed of the browser. >

I've never had any problem before with its auto updates but this one has buggered it up completely to the point that Firefox is barely usable after a few minutes.

> I'd try re-installing it. Or re-creating your profile. Personally I've found it to be much better, but there we go.

How do I go about reinstalling it, I didn't install this update in the first place, it did it by itself.

wilkie14c 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

deeply hidden but worth it when you get it
 Mr Lopez 22 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

You can do a system restore to a date just before FF was updated to Quantum and that will get you back the old browser, then you just have to turn off auto updating before rebooting your computer to stop it from doing the updating all over again.

Just keep in mind that any system changes you did in that period will also be rolled back, and that the earlier Firefox will stop receiving support in the form of security updates and stuff soon, so you may end up having to change browser anyway.

I also hate quantum and have had a play with Waterfox, which is based on firefox, and a lot of the settings and stuff from firefox get migrated, so you can have a play and see if you like it before uninstalling FF. FF and WF can't be open at the same time though, so if you try it be sure to close FF before opening WF
Post edited at 22:49
 SDM 22 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

> Never really liked Chrome but the problem is lots of my preferences, passwords etc are automatically stored in Firefox after using it for so long and I've got a lot saved webpages saved in files in 'my documents' which now won't open properly.

Chrome can import all of these from Firefox, it takes about 10 seconds. I expect the other browsers can all do this too.
 Dave 23 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:
Mine just updated to the Quantum version of Firefox which they made a fuss about, saying it was redesigned and going to be faster, and it is - noticeably. For once I'm impressed by an update.
Post edited at 19:48
 deepsoup 23 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:
The last update seems to have broken the whitelist on the extension whose name we may not utter here. (Rhymes with Bad Sock.)

It claims to be disabled on the whitelisted sites (this one, for example) but is clearly still blocking most, but not quite all, of the adverts.
Post edited at 20:11
In reply to pec:

Fascinating that some strange bods dislike recommendations that might solve a problem.

Each to their own, I suppose.
 mattrm 23 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

I mean uninstall Firefox and then re-install it. You can't roll back the update really. I would recommend you back up your profile:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-dat...

You could also create a clean profile and try that:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows

It might be an old add-on causing your issues.

I would not recommend you do a system restore as suggested by Mr Lopez. Unless you know your stuff, that's bound to end in tears.
 mattrm 23 Nov 2017

> Fascinating that some strange bods dislike recommendations that might solve a problem.

> Each to their own, I suppose.

I guess it doesn't really fix the issue. It's just 'solving' it by using something else. Which is to be fair a valid tactic. Also some people dislike Chrome. I've not touched Opera for years so can't commend on that.
OP pec 23 Nov 2017

> Fascinating that some strange bods dislike recommendations that might solve a problem.

> Each to their own, I suppose. >

I appreciate your taking the time to reply but using Chrome doesn't really solve my problem which is that Firefox isn't working properly.
I have used Chrome but didn't really like it and also don't like having to sign in to use some of its features.

OP pec 23 Nov 2017
In reply to mattrm:

> I mean uninstall Firefox and then re-install it. You can't roll back the update really. I would recommend you back up your profile: >

Yes, I think I'll try that at the weekend if I get chance, thanks.

> I would not recommend you do a system restore as suggested by Mr Lopez. Unless you know your stuff, that's bound to end in tears. >

I recall doing a system restore on an old computer once and seem to remember it was a bit of an effort. I think I'd rather try and install an older version of Firefox rather do a restore if the reinstall doesn't work.
 Mr Lopez 24 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

There's nothing to it to do do a system restore. Click the 'button', select a date, and confirm. Everything is automated and there's no tears shed anywhere.

Anyway, i've been using Waterfox now for 3 days, and it works perfectly. It keeps all your saved pages, bookmarks, settings, passwords, history, plug ins and extensions with its settings and lists, etc. so there's zero effort. I'm staying with it and not coming back to FF
In reply to pec:

I mentioned Opera too. I've been using it with no problems at all for about a year now. It renders fonts slightly better than Chrome or Safari, imo. I gave up on Firefox at least 3 years ago because of various things it failed to do properly (can't remember what they were now)
Post edited at 08:03
Brian Mcculloch 28 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

Yes, recently the Firefox updated to a newer version with a better look (I think) and so far I can say the speed has increased. Its working wonderfully for me and no problems as of now.
 malk 28 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

are you still freezing? i'm also getting delayed responses but only noticed when chrome also running (I've been testing a large web page). maybe a memory issue?
and something updated my default browser to bing;(
In reply to malk:
> and something updated my default browser to bing;(

That’s Microsoft taking control. Need to alter the make my default search to “X” instead of bing and that will stop bing being the one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...