UKC

Calanques Car Crime

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 28 Nov 2017
I have never been to Calanques, but have heard it is really good, but a car crime problem. Is car crime still a problem and is there a work around?
 ChrisBrooke 28 Nov 2017
In reply to J1234:
I've been there three times in the last eight years or so. Never been broken in to. The climbing, walking, swimming, eating are all great.

> I have never been to Calanques, but have heard it is really good,

It is.

>but a car crime problem.

So it seems.

>Is car crime still a problem

Only if you're broken in to. Sounds trite to put it that way, but it's a bit like saying "are car accidents a problem"? Yes, but only if you're in one. They won't stop me wanting to drive. And the car crime wouldn't stop me going back to the Calanques.

>and is there a work around?

Park sensibly, leave nothing in the car, visibly so (boot cover off, glove box open etc). The University always felt a bit more secure than some of the more secluded parking spots in the NP.
The other work around would be to leave your car in Cassis and walk along the coast to wherever you're climbing. That makes for quite a big day out though and realistically limits you to the first few Calanques.
Post edited at 15:04
J1234 28 Nov 2017
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> >

>

> The other work around would be to leave your car in Cassis and walk along the coast to wherever you're climbing. That makes for quite a big day out though and realistically limits you to the first few Calanques.

Thank you, it sounds great. Would getting a Taxi from Cassis be prohibitive?
I am the man who gets a Taxi from the Padarn up to beyond the Chesters hut when going to Cloggy
 Martin Bennett 28 Nov 2017
In reply to J1234:

I've been twice with a 45 year gap, in 1972 and 2017. Each time we were warned car crime might be a problem. So far no sign of it. That's not to say it's not a problem but then, it's a problem anywhere - witness recent tales of car break-ins at Costa Blanca supermarkets. It won't put me off going again.
When you go budget to buy the local guide books; we didn't but will next time as it's evident everywhere you go that there's so much, as usual, beyond the Rockfax.
Removed User 28 Nov 2017
In reply to J1234:

Car crime is a problem here. Leave your car completely empty, glovebox open, parcel shelf removed. Be back at your car before dark if parking at Morgiou or Sormiou.

Luminy, les Goudes, Grotte Rolland / Pastre and Cassis are probably less risky.

Driving down to the carpark at Sormiou and paying for the private parking (4€) is safe.

J1234 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

>

> When you go budget to buy the local guide books; we didn't but will next time as it's evident everywhere you go that there's so much, as usual, beyond the Rockfax.

Is that so you can nip over and borrow them from me?
 Martin Bennett 28 Nov 2017
In reply to J1234:
> Is that so you can nip over and borrow them from me?

D'you live near me then? If so, yes.
Post edited at 17:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...