UKC

The UK's New Highest Mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Damo 11 Dec 2017
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42238262

Mt Hope was first climbed in December 1964 by Mike Cousins and Keith Holmes from BAS, then got its second and third ascents in January 1970 by more BAS personnel.

I'd be interested to hear what UKCers think of the issue of sovereignty over the 'British Antarctic Territory' and whether this peak is really your highest- do you recognise it as genuinely British territory? Or is it a leftover of imperial Britain, an anachronism. No one owns Antarctica, right? That's what I'm always hearing. Fact is, most of the world does not recognise these claims (including my own Australian 42%).

Or should your highest mountain be Mt Paget on South Georgia? Which, incidentally is much more difficult and impressive than either Mt Hope or Ben Nevis.
 planetmarshall 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

> I'd be interested to hear what UKCers think of the issue of sovereignty over the 'British Antarctic Territory' and whether this peak is really your highest- do you recognise it as genuinely British territory?

Well we have as much claim to it as we do to Ben Nevis, that is to say, none. Both mountains were there long before Britain, and will still be there long after.
 jon 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

Has it got a flag on it? youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8&
 GrahamD 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

I reckon if we leave them in, the three peaks 'challenge' becomes a hell of a lot more challenging !
mysterion 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

The morons don't grasp the difference between the UK ('Britain') and a British overseas territory, Why should they, they are BBC journalists.
Lusk 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

Nonsense!
Everyone knows that there is only a big ice wall, to stop the sea flowing over the edge, where Antarctica is supposed to be.
 Iain Thow 11 Dec 2017
In reply to mysterion:

If you think "Britain" and the UK are the same then you're on dodgy ground insulting journalists for getting definitions wrong (the UK includes N Ireland, Britain doesn't).
 planetmarshall 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Iain Thow:

> If you think "Britain" and the UK are the same...

Hmm, then what is the adjective for being 'of' the United Kingdom? That is to say, Britain is to British as the United Kingdom is to.... what?

Genuine question, not just being facetious
 Doug 11 Dec 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

my passport says 'United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland' (my emphasis) on the cover (so technically no mention of the many other islands around Britain)
 nufkin 11 Dec 2017

> what is the adjective for being 'of' the United Kingdom?

Uky
 Iain Thow 11 Dec 2017

There isn't one really, is there, so people just use British - no wonder everybody gets confused!
Actually I think that "we", as in people in the UK (and the Irish for that matter) just like blurred lines and grey areas, maybe because it gives us scope to mess about with things for special cases and oddities? Or maybe a licence to argue about stuff?
Lusk 11 Dec 2017

> Hmm, then what is the adjective for being 'of' the United Kingdom? That is to say, Britain is to British as the United Kingdom is to.... what?

I live in Manchester.
I live in the North.
I live in England.
I live in the United Kingdom.
I live in the British Isles.

I'm a Mancunian.
I'm a Northerner.
I'm English.
I'm British.

No wonder I'm confused!

Dave 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

What chance of getting to it now? I presume those 60's and 70's trips used dogs. Its a long way in from the coast in Marguerite Bay, even if you can get into that. Would anybody fly there?
OP Damo 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Dave:
You *could* get ashore from a yacht and ski in, but you'd probably want a six week yacht charter, so the costs will add up.

ALE can fly in there, but due to the range from their base, fuel caches etc, it would be a very expensive expedition, heading toward USD$1,000,000 for a team of 4-6.
Post edited at 21:25
 Dave 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

> ALE can fly in there, but due to the range from their base, fuel caches etc, it would be a very expensive expedition, heading toward USD$1,000,000 for a team of 4-6.

I think I'll give that idea a miss then...

NathanP 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

It's clearly nonsense - Mt. Blanc (or White Fell, as I prefer to call it) is much higher. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=674841
 mypyrex 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:
Well if Spain can claim a summit on an island out in the Atlantic Ocean as their highest...
Post edited at 14:51
 defaid 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Damo:

Visited a Mid Welsh bothy once (that was enough) and in the logbook was a brief note mentioning that the author had on that day 'climbed the highest mountain in England and Wales'.

The next entry asked if it was also the highest mountain in Holland.

Antarctica is Antarctica. Calling a piece of it Britain seems daft to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...