UKC

Using Linux to resurrect an old laptop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 13 Dec 2017
Hi all

I've an an old laptop that's become unusable. It's a Dell with a K325 Athlon (dual-core 1.3GHz) and 4GB RAM. It's become incredibly slow, and going from Win7 to Win10 has rendered it almost unresponsive.

I'm contemplating putting Linux on to see if a lightweight OS can get it back to a usable state. I don't need it to do much - reliable web browsing and a functional Office suite would be just fine.

I have two questions: does this seem a worthwhile effort, or is it actually so out-of-date that nothing will help? And if it is worth going ahead, which distro? It seems that Mint is easiest for a windows user to get to grips with, but one of the stripped down Ubuntu verions might be more apprpriate for the hardware specs?

I guess I'm best off trying this via USB boot first, and if it seems to be working, wiping the hard drive and running direct from that?
 Lurking Dave 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Try it, google Ubuntu.
Cheers
LD
nikkormat 13 Dec 2017

I have Linux Mint XFCE on one laptop (2GHz, I think) and it runs well. I stopped using it on another (similar spec, but not sure) because it seemed slow - maybe Mint distros have got heavier recently. On that, I now use Lubuntu, which is slightly less user-friendly but still easy enough for me - although I have been using Mint for three years, I am no techie. Lubuntu seems to be going well so far.
 kathrync 13 Dec 2017

Give it a go, I have run Linux on several ancient laptops that were no longer capable of running Windows and in most cases they kept working until the hardware gave up.

Both Mint and Ubuntu have fully functional desktop environments that are relatively intuitive to find your way around, and there are loads of variants so you can play around to find something you like. Mint does seem to be a bit more popular with people migrating from Windows. For a super-lightweight Ubuntu install try Lubuntu. The desktop feels a bit clunky because a lot of the functionality is stripped out, but it will run on pretty much anything.
 Thrudge 13 Dec 2017

Puppy Linux is super small and light - should run fine on your hardware:

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

As above, Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop.
As you've already got windows installed, then puting Ubuntu on will give you the option of a dual boot which can be useful. The frightening thing is running something under windows, then swapping boot and running the same thing under Linux. The speed increase under Linux is significant and will be a real change in performance for most computers.
The space that Windows bloatware requires is also horrifying.
All linux derivatives require you to write an essay into a terminal to do even the simplest tasks, however, it's getting better. One day it might be as transparent and usable as a Mac
 Doug 13 Dec 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> All linux derivatives require you to write an essay into a terminal to do even the simplest tasks, however, it's getting better. One day it might be as transparent and usable as a Mac

Really ? I have a notebook with one of the lite versions of Linux, I downloaded an installation package onto a USB stick & installed from there. At no time did I need to use Terminal' for the install, nor to use it for browsing, email, playing music & work with Libreoffice.
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Doug:
> Really ? I have a notebook with one of the lite versions of Linux, I downloaded an installation package onto a USB stick & installed from there. At no time did I need to use Terminal' for the install, nor to use it for browsing, email, playing music & work with Libreoffice.

I've used a variety of Linux versions over the years. No need to use the terminal for the basics, but I have always had to dip in there at some point for some of the other bits & bobs. The last couple of times the hardware side of things has been easy, so I've just had to add repositories and wotnot to get Adobe Acrobat up and running to read and print pdfs (there are Linux native programs to do that, but none quite do it the way I need them to). Also to play commercial dvds and encode mp3s.

Oh, and 'get-iplayer' - the best way to use that is via the old-fashioned command prompt in a terminal. I download a lot of BBC radio programmes and convert them into mp3s to listen to whilst driving.

Fortunately it's easy to find simple instructions for all that stuff online and on the few occasions you do need to write a small essay into a terminal it's easy enough to copy/paste.
 GrantB 13 Dec 2017

Two years ago I nearly chucked an old, work, dell laptop as it was getting so slow. Instead, I bought a small SSD drive for about £50 and got another 4GB of Ram, second hand, from the local CEX shop for about £5. I then switched it to the 64 bit version of windows 7 and immediately did the free upgrade thing to windows 10 (Is that still available?). I was amazed by how quick it was. It's slowed down marginally since then, as Windows tends to do, but it should still have plenty of life in it and has more than repaid the investment.

Looking back at what we've used it for, a Linux install might have been a better idea, but Windows was already paid for and it seems a vast improvement over some of the older versions. To some extent, the best option depends on what you enjoy doing - I quite like tinkering around with hardware, but have found Linux quite infuriating in the past.

Ramblin dave 13 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> Fortunately it's easy to find simple instructions for all that stuff online and on the few occasions you do need to write a small essay into a terminal it's easy enough to copy/paste.

Minor point, and not just directed at this post, but be very very careful when copy-pasting stuff from the internet into a terminal. Even if you've checked that the commands that you see are doing roughly the sort of thing that you'd expect, there are all sorts of nasty tricks for having text on a webpage include extra bits when you copy it that are invisible when the page is displayed. It's a good idea to paste into some sort of text editor first so you can be sure that you're getting what you think you're getting.

In general - running lightweight Linux distro from a USB stick to get more mileage out of an old laptop sounds like a decent idea, we're thinking of doing the same thing with my partner's. I run Linux on my laptop at home as well as my work box, and generally find it fine and dandy for doing most everyday stuff (ie web and email), it only gets involved if you want it to do more complicated stuff like talk to nonstandard bits of hardware or run fancy software.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2017

It should get it working, I've done several at work over the years of much lower spec. As for which distribution... whichever actually works with the hardware, it's rarely the first one I try! I've several running various versions of Mint and Ubuntu, one or other tends to work.
jk
In reply to Doug:

> Really ? I have a notebook with one of the lite versions of Linux, I downloaded an installation package onto a USB stick & installed from there. At no time did I need to use Terminal' for the install, nor to use it for browsing, email, playing music & work with Libreoffice.

if only all installs were so simple.......
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> be very very careful when copy-pasting stuff from the internet into a terminal

Good advice.

I suppose there's also a risk involved in following instructions that you find online at all if you don't really know what you're doing - either the risk is very small or I've been lucky. I think it's reasonably safe to assume that bad or malicious advice posted to the official Ubuntu forums would be shot down pretty quickly.

> In general - running lightweight Linux distro from a USB stick to get more mileage out of an old laptop sounds like a decent idea, we're thinking of doing the same thing with my partner's.

Running it directly from a USB stick is a good way to try it out to see if you like it before installing, but I think it slows things down considerably so you'd probably want to install it properly if you decide you like it.

> I run Linux on my laptop at home as well as my work box, and generally find it fine and dandy for doing most everyday stuff (ie web and email), it only gets involved if you want it to do more complicated stuff like talk to nonstandard bits of hardware or run fancy software.

One thing that I simply cannot get Linux to do for me is upload data from my Garmin watch - I just have to boot Windows (and use "Garmin Express") for that. If anyone knows a way round that I'd be glad to hear about it.

I also occasionally use an ancient DOS program for programming some (equally ancient) walkie-talkies that I use for work - Linux runs the program ok (using WINE) on the old laptop that I use for that, but I can't for the life of me get it to talk the serial port correctly so again I have to boot into Windows.

kathrync 13 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> One thing that I simply cannot get Linux to do for me is upload data from my Garmin watch - I just have to boot Windows (and use "Garmin Express") for that. If anyone knows a way round that I'd be glad to hear about it.

Yes, that is the one thing I never managed to get Linux to do either. I maintained a Windows virtual machine for years, the only function of which was to upload stuff from my Garmin watch. In the end, I bought a new watch, because the new ones upload by connecting to an app on my phone via bluetooth and take the computer out of the loop entirely!

That might have enough horsepower for regular Mint or Ubuntu. I'd probably go with Xubuntu for what you want though.
Don't bother with Puppy or Lubuntu; they're hard going if you're new to it and you don't need to go that far.
Post edited at 20:02
 wbo 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: a side benefit of running something like mint off a USB is that if you kaibosh another machine you can use the USB to help you rescue pictures, documents and such

Philip 13 Dec 2017

You want Adrian or Tim B's advice.

I'd recommend fedora core over Ubuntu, get the XFCE desktop not gnome or ice. Much lighter on the processor.
OP Jamie Wakeham 13 Dec 2017

Cheers, all. Certainly sounds like it's not a wild goose chase. I don't need this laptop to do anything clever - I have the big desktop for most needs, this is simply for browsing and basic Office software, so it sounds like Xubuntu might do the trick.
 Sharp 14 Dec 2017

I've used various versions of linux over the years. It's worthwhile if you're interested in having a play, if you want a usable laptop then bear in mind that these days £100-200 will get you a lightning fast windows machine on ebay.
In reply to Philip:

Who, me??
OP Jamie Wakeham 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Sharp:
>if you want a usable laptop then bear in mind that these days £100-200 will get you a lightning fast windows machine on ebay.

Certainly true. It's the idea of just chucking hardware away that annoys me - I'll happily put in the effort if it keeps this machine from the scrapheap.

Oh, and hi Phil! I think Ade's a bit busy these days... I've not seen Tim for years and years.
Post edited at 09:29

> I've not seen Tim for years and years.

Right here!

>Certainly true. It's the idea of just chucking hardware away that annoys me - I'll happily put in the effort if it keeps this machine from the scrapheap.

Give it a go. You've nothing to lose. Good use of half an hour when it's cold and wet outside.

OP Jamie Wakeham 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Right here!

Oh - hello! How're you doing? Blame anonymous usernames...

Dauphin 14 Dec 2017

Another 4gb of ram and a cheap SSD will bring it back to life.

Linux, great big meh. Okay if you want to piss about with the O.S. everyone you want to do something you've taken for granted for decades. I use it myself but it's hardly user friendly or 'it just works'.

Run it off a fast usb stick if you want to get an idea.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...