UKC

Rewhipping rope eye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 starbug 13 Dec 2017

Hi,

Does anyone know of a company offering rewhipping of an eye into the end of a rope.

Hoping to save the remaining 75 meters after putting a chainsaw across close to the end.

Needs to be be done profesionally H&S will not allow me to rewhip it.

cheers

jkarran 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:

Can't you just knot it to form an eye?
jk
 Dave 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:

Not quite sure what you mean by rewhipping an eye? Do you mean you need to put an eye splice into the rope? Or do you really need to somehow use whipping twine double back the rope to form an eye? A sailmaker or marine rigging company, or some yacht chandlers would do it.
 Oceanrower 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:

What type of rope? Kermantle, braid on braid or hawser?
OP starbug 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

Hi All,

thanks for the replies I want someone put an eye splice into the rope professionally and its kernmantle

I did think about chandlers.

cheers
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:
> I did think about chandlers.

Seems likely to be the way to go. If you're not sure where to find one, maybe you could try giving Marlow a call to see if they can recommend somebody near you (or maybe even do it themselves):
https://www.marlowropes.com/splicing-instructions

Toerag 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:
> Needs to be be done profesionally H&S will not allow me to rewhip it.

Last time I looked there was no such thing as a rope splicing/whipping qualification, so why should anyone else be better at it than you? Does it have to be load-bearing?
Post edited at 13:15
OP starbug 13 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks had a look at that link and they have a dealer near by who is a chandler.

Will pop down and have a chat to them
 Oceanrower 13 Dec 2017
In reply to starbug:

Shame. I'm a dab hand at braid on braid. It's really impressive when done nicely and a set of fids isn't too dear.
In reply to starbug:

> and its kernmantle

I can see that being pretty tricky. The mantle is much finer than the kern, and you'd have to open the mantle up to allow you to get to the kern to splice it securely.

And I'd doubt that a nylon kern would splice very well; too slippery, and the splice relies on friction to hold.

Splicing in hawser-laid rope uses the twisting to perform the splice; you introduce the opened end strands into the loosened twists in the body of the rope, dress them together nicely, and then close up the loosened twists. You then whip the entire splice in order to prevent the splice opening up again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_splice

A kernmantle rope doesn't have the opposing twists of a hawser-laid rope, so you can't make the splice in the same manner.

I'm talking entirely from theory here; never spliced a rope in my life, but I've seen it done.
In reply to deepsoup:

The rope used in the D2 splice looks like the nearest to a kernmantle rope.

But, watching the video*, the core is braided (looks like a 12-strand braid). So the splice relies on the braiding closing up and locking the splice.

The core of a kernmantle rope isn't braided; it's just a bunch of strands.

Again, the caveat that I've never done this...

* there are a couple of places where the technique shown looks a bit odd; pulling the mantle back in, I'd have opened the other mantle up, to loosen it. Pulling on the entire rope would cause everything to tighten up, so I'm not surprised he struggled to get the mantle to pull through. And, when doing the final trim, again, I'd have loosened the surrounding mantle, pulled the excess end out, trimmed it, and then pulled the surrounding mantle tight again, so that the trimmed end would be pulled inside the outer, and the outer braiding would close up nicely around the inner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...