UKC

Rab - Vapour Rise v Strata?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Roly Mo 26 Dec 2017
Hi all,

After three years my trusty Rab Strata jacket is falling to bits. Me thinks its time to find a replacement. I genuinly like Rab gear (its high quality and fits me really well) so I was thinking about getting one of their vapour rise jackets after reading up on them.

Does anyone have any experience of both? How do they compare?

(Talk of alternatives more than welcome)

In terms of use my Strata went everywhere - summer and winter walking + climbing and scrambling (Adjusting baselayer weight according to temperature). One of the things that did annoy me though was the strata's hood.
In reply to Roly Mo:

VR will be significantly cooler. That's my primary observation.

Strata is Pertex microlight and 80gsm Alpha insulation; that will be pretty warm.

VR is Pertex Equilibrium and a micropile lining. Less wind resistant, and less insulation.
 TobyA 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

> After three years my trusty Rab Strata jacket is falling to bits.

Literally falling to bits? Like seams breaking and arms falling off or something? I'd be disappointed if something had broken down that much after three years. In actual fact besides waterproof coatings turning to dandruff-like flakes, I don't think any clothing I've had has really fallen apart even over a couple of decades...

Ok, merino boxers and long johns wearing out - that's really annoying.
Roly Mo 27 Dec 2017
The shoulder and chest area have almost totally worn away and is all bobbled up. Unfortunately this has led to the jacket starting to leak its alpha insulation.

I got the jacket for less than half price so I am really with its performance - it has been everywhere with me.
 EarlyBird 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

The hood on the Vapour Rise is excellent.
 Si dH 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:
I've never had a Strata. I've had two vapour rise hoodies and used them for everything you mention, plus summer alpine too (at night, not under the sun!) and as a layer for scottish winter climbing. They are fairly warm, very windproof and lasted really well (much better than Rab down jackets, which I've stopped buying!) However I think they do multiple types of vapour rise now that are not all the same weight, so make sure you get the full standard weight one, if that's what you want.
Post edited at 12:49
 nickcj 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

I really like the vapour rise and layer an AL pullover top underneath if I need a bit more warmth.

Have you considered the Rab Alpha flash or direct as these have replaced to strata recently. I tried one last winter and was very impressed.
 BnB 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

Cough. Nano Air. Cough
Roly Mo 27 Dec 2017
In terms of which VR I was looking at just the standard alpine lite version. I only know of one other kind - the guide - which is really only good for anything below 0°.

I had a look at the Direct Alpha jacket earlier this year but the thumb loops annoyed me. I will take a look at the Flash though - I genuinly hadnt heard ofnit before so thanks for sharing.

Some have mentionned Arcteryx and Patagonia gear however as a student they are way out of my price range. Rab have a large market here in the UK so there is plenty floating around on sale and sdcond hand - Ive never paid full price for any of my gear except climbing safety stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions all - I will do some more hunting.
 tehmarks 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

> (much better than Rab down jackets, which I've stopped buying!)

Thread drift: what problems have you had with Rab down jackets? I've just decided on getting a Rab Positron in preference to the ME Vega...
Roly Mo 27 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

I got an electron jacket in mid october. Intended use was as a belay jacket but found it useful walking to uni in the last month as temperatures were sub zero. However it has started to leak feathers one by one. It also has some really spikey feathers which are a bit of an annoyance - poking you when you walk etc. Its a shame really considering their reputation was build on their down products.

Should say jacket was bought brand new - but off ebay for £90 (bargain!).

tehmarks 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

I bought my first ever down sleeping bag in May, and I've gotten used to the odd bit of down escaping pretty much every time I used it; I assumed that was normal. That said, it's still annoying even if only because you eventually end up with 'feathers' all over your tent...

I think I'll still go for the Rab jacket if only because it seems marginally better designed.
 Si dH 28 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Primarily zips, the ones used on Rab downs seem too always break early (two jackets of mine and several of my friends'.)

To the OP, maybe the vapour rise design that I have is no longer available then - my description does not apply to a VR alpine lite - that was introduced originally as a lighter, less warm alternative a few years back.
 JayPee630 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

I had one of the early Strata's and although it was mostly brilliant (for winter all day wear, found it too warm for spring to autumn generally) I got rid of it due to a few small niggles (the cuffs kept turning inside out and the liner was a bit sticky against the skin) and replaced it with a Patagonia Nano-Air which is even better.

I've also got a hooded Vapour Rise (Alpine Lite) I think, the current model anyway. I had one of the first ones (20?) years ago and it was one of the best bits if clothes I ever had and when it died I got the newer model but they'd changed it and the cut was terrible and it had a bad folding into the collar hood. Anyway, it was got rid of, but with this current model I think they've got another excellent top and I use my for spring to autumn for pretty much everything with just a t-shirt base layer under it.

The VR isn't as warm and is bit more windproof, and the only thing I find is it's not very good with anything long sleeve under it as the VR lining sticks against other fabric, but doesn't against the skin.
 tehmarks 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

Oh, that's less ideal.
 lithos 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:
> Should say jacket was bought brand new - but off ebay for £90 (bargain!).

is it genuine? possibly a fake. Spikey feathers does depend on the quality of the down.

Roly Mo 28 Dec 2017
In reply to lithos:

It came with tags etc. Everything looked and weighed the same - even the stuff sack matched. I'll admit though I wouldnt be able to tell a fake from a real one.

It looks like the VR might take the place of when its too warm for the strata but too cold just to use my boreas windshirt.
 wilkesley 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

I have got an old VR jacket, which is great if it's below freezing, but too warm the rest of the time. I have also got a VR Lite jacket, which I wear almost every day, except in hot weather.
 GForce1 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

I have used a Strata for two years. Combined with a merino base layer and a neoshell shell it's my normal Scottish winter walking wear. I also have an original weight (no longer made) Vapour-rise from 2010.

I would say that:

- The strata is much warmer and more wind resistant
- Layers well unlike the vapour-rise
- Not quite as breathable as the vapour-rise but still good
- Unlike the vapour-rise has some resistance to icy winter winds

Both have been excellent, but for me the Strata is for winter and the Vapour-rise autumn/spring. In summer I just use a pertex windproof as both are too warm.

When I need to I will probably stick to an alpha based softshell for winter, if not the Rab Alpha-Direct then something similar from Montane.
 Brass Nipples 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Roly Mo:

Original VR is good down to about -8c when mountain biking and worn against the skin.
VR Lite I use from Spring to Autumn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...