UKC

scarpa Charmoz vs. Manta Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hgalbraith 20 Jan 2018

Anyone tell me how these two boots compare in performance (mainly for winter hillwalking), comfort, easy snow/ice climbing, etc. I am torn on which to buy, but I want a good all-rounder for easy climbing (I-II), winter hiking.

LucaC 20 Jan 2018
In reply to hgalbraith:

I have both. For winter in the UK, get Mantas. I’ve done some grade IVs in mine no problem, and they will last longer than the charmoz.

Post edited at 21:53
 J Whittaker 20 Jan 2018
In reply to hgalbraith:

I have Charmoz and Mont Blanc Pros. Similar ball park to the Mantas just lighter and with an in built gaiter.

I use the Charmoz year round. If you had no desire to progress above grade II stuff personally id go for the Charmoz then you have a year round boot. If you want to progress past II then the manta would be best, or if it was a winter specific boot and you have a second summer pair.

hgalbraith 20 Jan 2018
In reply to LJC:

Hi LJC, I have no wish to get beyond Grade II. I want them mainly for winter walking and easy mountaineering. Does this alter your conclusion?

hpil 21 Jan 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:

I have marmoladas for summer walking, Charmoz for winter walking and mont blanc for winter climbing. I also had a pair of older (blue leather) mantas, but they didn't fit my feet very well. If you want one pair that can do summer and winter, I'd get Charmoz. However, I do find b2s a bit clumpy for summer walking, so if you want a summer pair and a winter pair, I think the mantas would be slightly better for UK winter bog plodding & icy snoe6

LucaC 21 Jan 2018
In reply to hgalbraith:

Nope, I would get Mantas over the Charmoz for the uk. The full grain leather weighs a bit more, but that doesn't really matter for UK use, and they will be more durable and I also find them a bit warmer. A leather outer/goretex liner is better for UK conditions than outdry in my experience and you can keep them a waterproofed by waxing the leather in a way you cant with a fabric boot. 

hgalbraith 21 Jan 2018
In reply to LJC:

Many thanks LJC. I am indeed swinging toward the Manta.

hgalbraith 26 Jan 2018
In reply to LJC:

Hi LJC. I managed to get both the Charmoz and the Manta Pro boots and compared them for a few days. Manta wins hands-down. The Charmoz are good boots but feel a little flimsy for  tough winter day. Also, although both were size 46, the charmoz were too snug on my feet (kind of narrow in the toe box) while the Manta fitted like a glove. Looking forward to some long days in hills in my new Mantas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...