UKC

2 day walk and wild camp suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 25 Jan 2018

I have slowly been getting the Mrs into a bit of hill walking and camping.

She seems fairly keen to get out for a 2 day walk and wild camp.

- Lakes or Scotland is fine, but travelling up from Manchester so nothing much further north than Fort Will as it will only be a 3 day trip.

- Wild/ remote camping spot would be ideal.

I did the Kinloch Hourn to Old Forge via Barrisdale walk a few yeas back. Thinking something similar to that with regards to gradient and scenery.

Any suggestions?

Welsh Kate 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Fort Bill to Corrour or Rannoch?

You could take the Glen Nevis / Abhain Rath route down to Loch Treig and on to Corrour from there, or the Laraig Leacach from Spean Bridge. Both have a convenient bothy on route if the weather's minging, even if you camped outside you could still use the bothy for cooking / hanging out etc.

Either route can be extended to Rannoch if you've got your legs on you. Nice routes that get you well away from civilisation but aren't too difficult underfoot.

Dave the Rave 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Walk in to Sourlies Bothy?

redsonja 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Great Moss in Upper Eskdale is a fantastic place to wild camp

Welsh Kate 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I understand the bridge is down from Inverie to Sourlies at the moment, which is why I didn't suggest going back to Knoydart, but all things being equal, that's a lovely walk.

OP Ben_Climber 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thank you for the suggestions!

Great Moss looks like a good spot, added advantage it's less distance to travel.

Knoydart is beautiful but have been before so somewhere different would be good

Ben

Removed User 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Dalwhinnie to Corrour, stopping overnight at Culra. Or the other way round.

Welsh Kate 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Another nice route. There's something quite magical about getting the train to Corrour and getting off in the middle of nowhere to start an adventure.

john1963 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

The round of Langdale fells is a excellent walk. It can be split into a 2 day walk with an overnight camp at Angle Tarn. 

Dark-Cloud 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Park in Staveley area, bus to Threlkeld pick up the Dodds and Helvellyn ridge up onto Fairfield over to Scandale Pass, drop down Red Screes to Kirkstone then up and over to Thornthwaite Beacon, down to Garburn, back to Staveley, easy 2 day excursion, if you time it right you can have a meal and a beer at Kirkstone before heading up the hill to camp.

sg 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The lakes being what they are, if you plan to spend most of both days actually walking, you can start almost anywhere and make good loop back to the start point. Loads of nice spots to camp between gable, scafell and bow fell, although I'd recommend the summit of Pillar if you arrive late / leave early.

Some of those train-based Scotland routes are excellent suggestions though.

Post edited at 12:38
 Dark-Cloud 26 Jan 2018
In reply to sg:

Agreed but i always find linear routes more rewarding.

Post edited at 12:44
 Anti-faff 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Blair Atholl to Aviemore is a classy outing. 

Up Glen Tilt until you meet with the Larig Ghru. Past the Corrour hut over the top and on down through Rothiemurcus forest to Aviemore. Regular trains back to Blair Atholl for your car.

There's lovely wild camping round an old ruined sporting lodge(?) At the top of Glen Tilt. I tried to make it to Corrour but ran out of legs and ended up sleeping in a stoney bog; not my finest hour. 

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Yes, Great Moss is an exceptionally grand spot (south of Scotland). I once camped on a knoll on the east side of it (i.e out of the bog) for four days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...