UKC

Toddler climbing southern Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nickfletcher 28 Jan 2018

Hi all,

I have a 14 month old boy who is currently climbing everything in sight (furniture, small walls, other people, dogs, etc). We'd like to take him to a climbing / bouldering centre fairly soon but most of the places near us (Edinburgh) seem to have a minimum age of about 5. Where we used to live in Sheffield there was a wall that had an 18 month minimum age so I know there are places that exist where he could climb quite soon. Does anyone know of anywhere a bit more enlightened in southern Scotland, eg Glasgow, Perth, Dundee, where we could take him as an enthusiastic toddler?

ShoePolice 28 Jan 2018
In reply to nickfletcher:

Might want to check out Eden Rock, open(ing) in Loanhead. Seems quite child-orientated...

https://en-gb.facebook.com/edenrockedinburgh/

I only heard about it recently so need to see what the score is but I'd like to get my 2.5 year old along.

OP nickfletcher 28 Jan 2018
In reply to ShoePolice:

Ah thanks. I'd vaguely heard about them but I didn't get a response when I asked a few months ago about age restrictions. I've sent them a message on Facebook and I'll post back here if they get back to me. 

summo 28 Jan 2018

A kids indoor play centre might fill the gap and won't have the age caveats. 

Gwilym H 28 Jan 2018

It's worth ringing to check on the policy. I've never checked age policies and have taken my daughter to at least 4 different walls since she was 2 she is now 4 and never had an issue. 

Jonny May 28 Jan 2018

Perth College Climbing wall is child friendly and runs Tuesday and Friday morning parent and toddler sessions. See their Facebook page for more info - https://www.facebook.com/perthcollegeclimbingcentre/

Nibs 28 Jan 2018

TCA Glasgow is fine with a dedicated kids area, my wee one's been going for a while.

Some arranged sessions too, though never taken advantage of them: https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/kids/tiny-academy-bookings-glasgow/ 

TomC88 30 Jan 2018

Assuming youve already checked but Alien Rock Edinburgh - Q16 on their FAQ suggests no age requirement. Seen a few kids in there but looked older than 18months!

girlymonkey 30 Jan 2018

The Peak in Stirling has no minimun age if you are bringing them in yourself. If looking for instruction though, the child must be 5 or over. I assumed most walls would allow you to take them in at any age if they were under your care, just not for instructed sessions.

At this age, I think kids often get on better outdoors. You can just find some fun broken ground to scramble over and you just stick behind them to catch them if needs be. Indoor walls are usually too reachy and 'formal' for kids of that age. 

If you do want to go indoors, TCA has a great kids area. Not quite on the scale of Sheffield's miniworks, but pretty good.

BrendanO 20 Feb 2018
In reply to TomC88:

True dat - Alien, and I think most other walls near Edinburgh, have no age requirement if you are belaying YOUR OWN KIDS. 

Tiny Foresters Wall in Tranent, East Lothian, is same, open sessions on Sun pm currently VERY quiet - you may get the place to yourself!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...