UKC

New to climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Silverback38 16 Feb 2018

Hi,

I'm a qualified ML and have enjoyed indoor bouldering for some years. I would like to make the move to climbing outdoors but have a few issues...

1 - Don't have a permanent climbing partner, so I'm looking for someone who has the experience to either teach me/show me the ropes so to say and also who is willing to climb regularly with me

2 - Don't really know what equipment is 'Essential' equipment - (I know you need a rope!). I am a physics teacher so have an understanding of anchor points, forces etc. - I just need someone to help with this in context.

I have climbed outside once and have done 3 routes on stannage - I have a very limited, almost non-existent experience of climbing outdoors.

If anyone out there is looking for someone similar to me or is able and willing to help a brother out, I'd love to hear from you!

Oh, I do have a mate who has some experience who would also like to get involved (if that helps?)

Cheers

Dean 

GrahamD 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Silverback38:

You might want to fill out a profile ?

Personally I joined a local club and have been with them for 25 years now.

dr_botnik 17 Feb 2018

As the weather gets better I'm sure they'll be more folk out looking for easy days so worth keeping your eye on the forum here.

Might be worth going down your local wall to get climbing fitness back, I'd aim for more than once a week if you can, and preferably to a roped climbing wall as opposed to a bouldering wall.

Others have also recommended the courses at plas-y-brenan (sp?) so might be worth looking at their beginner options.

As for equipment, I'd start with a harness, belay plate and crab, chalk and shoes. This will do for indoors. Probably adding a nut key then some slings and crabs for seconding. Once you're looking to lead, most start with a set of nuts and a set of hexes (or cams if you have the money) and a rope, gradually adding more cams.

As has been said, try joining a local club. Although I did find it quite easy meeting partners at my local wall. The most important thing is to be honest about how little you know/experience you have, as you could potentially put off experienced partners if they are expecting someone more competent.

Good luck!

OP Silverback38 17 Feb 2018
In reply to dr_botnik:

Thanks for the advice guys!

I’ve sorted my profile out and cannot agree more about honesty - once you lose your integrity it’s a hard thing to win back!

I’ll take on board your advice and start back at the indoor wall. 

Again, thanks for the advice! Although can I ask what a crab is? I’m assuming it’s not a crustacean...

Andy Gamisou 17 Feb 2018

There's two sorts of climbing crabs.  The first type is also referred to as a "carabiner" - summarised in this link https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/carabiners.html  - you'll need one to attach your belay device to your rope and harness. 

The second type relates to the average climber's lack of personal hygiene and you might like to try and avoid this sort.

Andy

Post edited at 05:49
 slab_happy 17 Feb 2018

If you've only bouldered so far, I'd suggest learning how to belay (and lead belay) as soon as possible. Any climbing wall that does roped climbing will have short intro courses teaching this.

You're much more likely to find someone who's willing to take you outside if they know they're not going to have to spend the first few hours teaching you how to put on a harness, tie a figure-of-eight, top-rope belay, etc. etc..

OP Silverback38 18 Feb 2018
In reply to slab_happy:

Hiya,

I probably should've mentioned that I have a harness and can tie a knot and belay - my kids climb and I belay them. I have some experience of belaying adults too but have never found anyone who I completely trust to belay me. 

Also thanks Andy about the crabs! I have the first type ????

Thanks again guys for the advice 

spenser 18 Feb 2018

Hi Dean,

I dropped you a message on friday lunchtime about the Oread Mountaineering Club, I am running an Introduction to The Oread meet over the weekend of 20th-22nd April which I am happy to discuss with you. The best way to meet us would be to pop over to the Climbing Unit in Derby on a Monday evening after 7 PM, this will enable you to see what the club is like and meet some of the club's members.

Cheers

Spenser

OP Silverback38 22 Feb 2018
In reply to spenser:

Hi Spenser,

ive sent you an email ????

cheers

dean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...