UKC

Basic ankle support (elasticated sock)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2018

Basic basic question....
I bought myself an "elasticated sock" type ankle support in Aldi last July, absolutely nothing special, just a £6 thing. It proved to be just what I needed for long walks, to stop my long-term-injured ankle playing up after about 10 miles.

I gave it away at Christmas to a mate who "went over badly" on his ankle, assuming I would just order myself something similar online. 

Looking on Amazon, bizarrely I can't seem to find anything quite like the one I had. There are bulky things with velcro straps. There are neoprene things. There are overpriced things with "beneficial copper". There are things that just look like a tight sock. Most of them are hand wash only. 

Mine had a bit of padding around it but wasn't too bulky to wear over a hiking sock and get my boots on OK, and it was machine washable. Do I have to wait until Aldi is selling them again?!
I don't want a neoprene thing or a bulky thing or blah blah...

Any recommendations welcomed.

Dark-Cloud 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

You mean something like this ?

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Elite_Knitted_Snug_Series...

Boots on the high street do similar ones

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes that is the sort of thing (although mine didn't have any gel). I'll have a look in Boots etc. Cheers

MikeStuart 20 Feb 2018

I wear this boots ankle support daily when my osteoarthritis is causing me more grief than normal. I've got three now, all of varying ages and thus 'stretchy-ness' - a quick rise in the washing machine does return some elasticity. 

http://www.boots.com/boots-everyday-ankle-support-medium-10214767

Dave the Rave 20 Feb 2018

Obtain a suitable length of Tubigrip so that it can be doubled ie you pull it on like a sock then pull the top bit back down over the foot giving a double layer?http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi2xaue-bTZAhWJqBgKHaYzB4YYA...

size d is medium ankle size e large ankle

Post edited at 16:49

Well in a quirk of fate that could understandably lead anyone to think that this whole thread is a dodgy advert for Aldi.....Aldi are now selling the Crane Sports supports! So I bought two for my ankle (one spare in case of loss or if I need one but need to have one in the wash)

They are £5 and suit my needs  - others may need something more sophisticated.

Basically I had a talus fracture in 2005, quite minor and the bone healed OK but the ligaments around it seem to really tighten up after a long day out, without any specific strenuous movement on them. Results in me limping in a way that makes people think it's a serious injury, and it carries through to the next morning and I have to hobble around campsites etc to "loosen things up". It stopped me joining in longer hikes etc for years - then last year on impulse I bought one of these things shortly before going on a holiday in South America that was going to include a bit of hill trekking, and it worked so much better than I'd dared imagine. Didn't limp at all even after 3-4 days Salkantay / Machu Picchu. 

Thanks for other recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...