UKC

Grampians - child friendly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mike1979 28 Feb 2018

We‘re hoping to get a bit of climbing in while we’re on holiday in Australia. We have a small rack of trad gear and a 70 metre rope. Does anyone know which sport/mixed crags might be doable with two small children. (I.e. flat area near the base and no drop off.). Any tips would be much appreciated. 

Mike 

Morgan Woods 28 Feb 2018
In reply to mike1979:

Summerday Valley is probably a good place to start...2 minute walk in nice comfortable and flat cliff base but you will need a decent trad rack. Further up to van Diemens you will get some more sport routes but this is a steep (in parts) 30-40 minute walk in and some tricky ground in general (lots of drop offs). Stapylton generally eg Hollow Mountain is a great place for exploring but it could be tough to combine sport + easy access + kid friendly. The Gramps in general have long walk ins.

I only know a couple of the main areas (there are about a hundred different crags) so maybe try looking on the crag:

https://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/grampians

or ask on chockstone. At the more obscure sport areas, definitely be alert to holds breaking off.

In reply to mike1979:

Mt Bundaleer would be nice, particularly as you never really go to the top of the crag (everything ha lower-offs to my memory) and the base was pretty flat/stable/safe. It's also got an amazing selection of routes too, with pretty much every route I did there being a classic. 

spidermonkey09 28 Feb 2018
In reply to mike1979:

Some reasonable routes around Amnesty Area (Hollow Mountain) which had a nice flat sandy base and a short walk in. Not the best climbing in the area but good fun. 

Spurt Wall at Taipan would also be ok but the walk in is a bit savage for small kids. Nice flat base once you're there though.

mike1979 01 Mar 2018
In reply to mike1979:

Thanks for the replys! That gives me a good starting point. I’ll be back to ask for Blue Mountains soon

Mike 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...