UKC

Mammut Serenity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 02 Mar 2018

I'm thinking of getting a skinny single rope for alpine routes this year, after several years of being naughty and winging it with one half rope.

On paper the 8.7mm Mammut Serenity looks like a good bet but online reviews seem to be evenly split between people who think it is wonderful and those who complain that they bought one and it was trashed before they finished uncoiling it...

Does anyone here have one, are they any good and if not what alternative would you suggest?

beardy mike 02 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

It's a bit useless as a comparison -I have the previous version in 8.9mm. It was the best rope I ever owned. So massively versatile. But of course you need to be a bit prudent about belaying fatties on a single that thin And yes I count myself as a fatty.

TobyA 02 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

My one did very good service - got used loads as I often used it doubled up for summer cragging on grit sized cliffs. Eventually it got down from 60 to about 45 metres then last year I had to chop it at about two thirds - can still use it for most of my grit cragging though! And that was after 6 or 7 years of quite a lot of use. https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/reviews/ropes/the_ultimate_in_versatility_t...

blurty 02 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

I also had the forerunner of this version of the serenity. A lovely rope, handles and wears really well

olddirtydoggy 02 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

Great rope, very light and lasts really well. Did all of last seasons cragging with it and will continue next. We don't  do falls on it.

OP d_b 03 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks all.  I will put it on my birthday list.

BruceM 06 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

I have the orig 8.9mm one too.  Excellent handling and multi functional.  Use it for everything.

Has anybody had the chance to compare the new 8.7mm version with the orig, for handling and wear?  It would be good to know as I was hoping to replace mine with the new one sometime.

In reply to BruceM:

I have had two of the 8.9mms and two 8.7mms. They are exactly the same as far as I can tell in thickness, appearance, handling and wear. I've been using these ropes for everything from dogging sport climbs to alpine and I love them. Also taken loads of falls on them.

Despite the Grigri 2 being only rated down to 8.9mm the 8.7mm works fine with these. Unlike a friend's new Sterling 9.2mm with which she lowered me the other day without having to use the handle on the Grigri 2 - yikes!

BruceM 06 Mar 2018
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Cheers Jonathan.  That's very useful.  I love the old one, and agree it is awesome for everything.  Good to know that its replacement will be just as awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...