UKC

What to do with retired nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 megdc 15 Mar 2018

I have some nuts where the wires have started to fray and it's time to retire them. What can I do with them? Could you give me your advice on what you would do with yours? i.e alternative uses, recycling etc? 

Thanks.

alx 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Incorporate them into unnecessarily large and bulky versions of household objects and sell them at an arts fare at inflated price. Thus allowing you to buy that number 6 cam or Huge Big-Bro you always wanted.

jonnie3430 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Give them to a winter climber.

Toerag 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Give them to someone wanting to do destructive testing on them, perhaps the manufacturer?

jasonpm 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Give them a seat in the House of Lords.

Dell 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Use them as 'tent pegs' on rocky hard ground. 

Pbob 15 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

I find that if you strip the wires off, file them into hexagonal shapes, drill a hole in the centre and tap the hole with a screw thread, they can be used in conjunction with rods with a complimentary thread to make strong and robust fastenings with a myriad of uses. Just a thought.

Wingnut 16 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Club I'm in has retired nuts on the ends of the light switch cords in the loos.

oldie 16 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Use them for many DIY applications. Notably slide wire under lowest roof tiles clipped to sling larksfooted round rafters and use for securing ladder and cow's tail while working on/near roof edge + securing duckbords on leanto for ladder to upper roof. 

PS Just thought: could saw through wire and put nuts on strong cord...I miss being able to use cord on larger nuts which are now largely sold on wire.

PPS Forgot bit about wires being already frayed....have to be careful with these for bodyweight applications.

Post edited at 15:12
 Trangia 16 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Sew them into an old sock, then start a thread on here asking if you can take it through security at Gatwick as hand luggage?

wercat 18 Mar 2018
In reply to Trangia:

No, I think he could start a job/firm as a security consultant, just think of the impression he'd create when he produced this "tool" at a client interviews.

Timmd 18 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Send them to these people to be recycled/upcycled....

http://www.madebyscavenger.com

If you struggle to find where to send them on their page, I could find out for you as I know a relative of one of the people involved.

Post edited at 12:51
 nigel baker 18 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Most of the retired nuts I know end up going to Kalymnos!!!!!!!

......or on a wet winters days the Climbing Wall!!

matthew 18 Mar 2018
In reply to megdc:

Local scrap dealer or visit the council's Household Waste Recycling Centre when you are passing. They all have a skip for scrap metals as there's a ready market for them.

Sizes 7 and above, you might be able to re-sling on cord or tape (& maybe even save a little bit of weight). Not worth re-wiring unfortunately, unless you had capacity to swage them yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...