UKC

A nice summer destination with small kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ola.b 18 Apr 2018

So - we have a 2yr old and a toddler at 7months old.

We´re looking for destinations in europe that combines climbing opportunities and fun with small kids-opportunities.

We are traveling in late july. We want to boulder both low end font 5´s and up to 7´s, or casual sportclimbing.

No long approaches.

Somewhere nice and sunny, but not obtrusively hot (I prefer 25*C or lower).

We don´t want to stay in the middle of a big city, but somewhere were the 2yr old can be let loose a bit and run around, go for a swim in a lake/pool/ocean etc.

We are thinking of inviting/bringing my parents to help babysit a bit - so we can actually relax. This means renting a small house or something.

Font is an obvious option, but will be too hot in july. Corsica, sardinia, kalymnos etc will also be blistering hot?

Would valle dell orco work? val di mello?

Tom Briggs 18 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

Font is fine in July. Quiet, lots of shade. We’ve had 4 weeks there over the past two summers and it’s rarely been humid. I suspect it’s a lot cooler than Mello. Unless you’re climbing in the 8s there’s plenty to do. Outdoor swimming options too near Bois-le-roi. 

Post edited at 22:48
mike1979 20 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

What about some of the crags in Oeztal in Austria? I have two small children and at that point it was pretty much the only place we could climb even without support from a group of friends.

Mike

subtle 20 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

> So - we have a 2yr old and a toddler at 7months old.

> We´re looking for destinations in europe that combines climbing opportunities and fun with small kids-opportunities.

> We are traveling in late july. We want to boulder both low end font 5´s and up to 7´s, or casual sportclimbing.

> No long approaches.

> Somewhere nice and sunny, but not obtrusively hot (I prefer 25*C or lower).

> We don´t want to stay in the middle of a big city, but somewhere were the 2yr old can be let loose a bit and run around, go for a swim in a lake/pool/ocean etc.

Fort William?

heleno 21 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

We had a couple of trips to the Haute Durance area (Ailefroide, Argentiere la Bessee) etc when our kids were that age.  You can pick your altitude and north/south orientation to match the weather conditions.  Climbing ranges from short family-friendly crags to multipitch days out if you have someone to babysit.  

Post edited at 15:05
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

I'm surprised John Arran hasn't been on - the Ariege fits your bill - quiet, good climbing, bouldering, rivers, caves mountains, not too hot - it has the lot,

Chris

caver 21 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

+1 for the Haute Durance. This site may be useful   http://www.alpineaccomodation.com

Post edited at 21:46
 JXM 21 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

Zillertal meets all your requirements, and it has a great guidebook, and there is plenty of other things to do.

In reply to ola.b:

Hi I live the Haute Durance valley, its a great place for family trip, if you would like some advice or have questions feel free to drop me a line.

rob@alpbaseacademy.com

cheers Rob

MarkDavies36 22 Apr 2018
In reply to heleno:

Agreed. We have had good times in the area. Also good for some half decent Via Ferrata to do some bigger mountain stuff if no babysitters are available.. Sometimes uplift is available too for some nice walking up quite high.

MarkDavies36 22 Apr 2018
In reply to ola.b:

There is actually quite a lot to do in the 3-valleys area - Via Ferrata (including a great kids one which we did when ours were 3yrs), roadside cragging, nice walks, fairly quiet, swimming pool in La Tania, lots of summer activities, bike hire....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...