UKC

Screwing/bolting metals to van body - corrosion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 25 Apr 2018

How to screw or bolt objects including metals to interior of steel van.  Obviously to be avoided where poss, but if you need to, should you worry much about galvanic corrosion?

- I take it stainless steel (or even nickel coated?) fasteners should be avoided, as these could promote rust to the vehicle.  But is that significant?  Is any corrosion likely to be just around the fastener hole itself or anywhere?

- If above, what is the best type of metal for bolt/screw/fastener?  Are those black bolts manufacturers use everywhere on vehicles just heat-treated plain steel?  Should you use plain carbon steel or zinc plated?

- And if you need to bolt on an L-bracket, I guess it's best to avoid aluminium and stick to steel?  Or will the aluminium just sacrifice itself, then oxide and basically do nothing further -- basically protect the steel vehicle.

Given all the stuff people on van forums use and recommend, maybe it doesn't matter too much, but I thought it's worth asking the scientists on here to see if there is a preferred choice

Cheers.

jkarran 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

If it's inside the van and not through the skin into the weather (seal the outside part of the fastner if it is) I'd not worry at all, just bolt/rivet whatever materials you like in, paint it if you want perfect then wait for the exterior to rot away long before your additions cause any issues.

jk

Dax H 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

My current van is 7 years old and has allsorts screwed to the inside. The screws are zinc plated steel and I have not found and corrosion yet. 

jimtitt 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

You are overthinking this, just look at what all the 100,000 fasteners and bits that go to make a van are made of.

Rick Graham 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

Like everybody says any corrosion will be minimal and unlikely to be a problem in the lifetime of the van.

Obviously  be very careful not to drill into any cabling or pipes.

Self drilling, self tapping "tech screws " are great but TBH almost any screw will work in thin steel if the correct size pilot hole is drilled first.

OP BruceM 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

Thanks everybody.

OK.  Sounds like it's a non issue.  That's great.  I guess I just wanted to check out some other opinions.  Since there are plenty of options out there, it would have been silly to naively pick one and then find out later it would cause additional probs. 

But you are all correct in that vehicles don't last long over here full stop.  Sigh!

Removed User 25 Apr 2018
In reply to BruceM:

Least of your worries, but here's a handy chart with a guide on how to use it.

http://www.zygology.com/cms/upload_area/pdf/Zyg-Anodic-Index.pdf

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...