UKC

Pembroke last weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Onsight 26 Apr 2018

I made my first trip to try out sea cliff climbing at Pembroke last weekend.

Over the weekend we ran into a group a few times who did not seem to be taking the hostile environment very seriously. (no prusik loops etc, laughing and joking when abseiling) although they did seem competent and were climbing E grades. Also they had cans of beer at  the cliffs! 

Is this normal for sea cliff climbers? 

GrahamD 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

That Cliff Climbers is a rum old cove and no mistake !

guy127917 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Are you sure they werent pirates?

deacondeacon 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Laughing and joking?

SHIT THE BED!!!! 

mrteale 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Down with this sort of thing!!!

If it was the stag do that I think it might have been, the beers were probably just to stop the shakes from the night before so probably a good thing all things considered. No one wants a shakey hungover belayer...

Bob Kemp 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

I don't get out much these days, but historically I'd say normal for any kind of climber... 

bensilvestre 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Was it the same guys who kept talking about climbing the west face of the East wall? They seemed a bit confused if you ask me. Although I guess ultimately the East wall IS west facing.

Edit- of the leap that is

Post edited at 17:28
 Dave Garnett 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> Over the weekend we ran into a group a few times who did not seem to be taking the hostile environment very seriously. (no prusik loops etc, laughing and joking when abseiling) although they did seem competent and were climbing E grades.

I've never carried prussiks at Pembroke and, compared with a lot of places, I'd hardly consider most of Pembroke a hostile environment.

webbo 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I've never carried prussiks at Pembroke and, compared with a lot of places, I'd hardly consider most of Pembroke a hostile environment.

It is if you live in Lincolnshire.

d_b 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

You have to watch your step at range west and I am sure someone told me a story about finding a sea mine bouncing against the bottom of the crag once...

I expect a pair of prusiks or other easy way out would have been pretty desirable for the second one.

Misha 26 Apr 2018
In reply to bensilvestre:

Yes but does it have an East Face or a North Face? In other words, can a wall have a face if there’s only one face to start with? Hmmm...

Misha 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

I’d leave the beers until afterwards. 

OP Al Onsight 27 Apr 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

It’s not that I’m against people having fun - I’ve been know to stagger home in the small hours after a few bevvies once or twice!

but I’m planning a summer of big gains in my climbing and one thing I’ve learned from being a triathlete is that if you want to be the best you have to hang around with the best. So I’m looking to be around climbers pushing it to the max, not just out to have fun.

GrahamD 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> but I’m planning a summer of big gains in my climbing and one thing I’ve learned from being a triathlete is that if you want to be the best you have to hang around with the best.

Looks like you're on the wrong forum, mate

Dave Garnett 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> So I’m looking to be around climbers pushing it to the max, not just out to have fun.

With your joie de vivre I’m sure they’ll be queuing up.

The hardest people I’ve climbed with have also been great fun on the crag.  

Cheese Monkey 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Take it to the limit man

jo.thomas 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> So I’m looking to be around climbers pushing it to the max, not just out to have fun.

"The best climber is the one having the most fun!"

elliott92 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

I don't think you're gunna get many replies in the partners forum Bro. I topped out at baggy last weekend in perfect sunshine to a couple of climbers with a mini keg of the good stuff that they kindly told us to help ourselves to after returning thier dropped nut. Best sea cliff sesh I've ever had 

Post edited at 20:36
 webbo 27 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> It’s not that I’m against people having fun - I’ve been know to stagger home in the small hours after a few bevvies once or twice!

> but I’m planning a summer of big gains in my climbing and one thing I’ve learned from being a triathlete is that if you want to be the best you have to hang around with the best. So I’m looking to be around climbers pushing it to the max, not just out to have fun.

You might have to move as Sleaford is hardly the hotbed  of climbing.

tomdale 28 Apr 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Bon chance pushing it to the max bro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...